GQ's Top 10 Most Hated Athletes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

GQ's Top 10 Most Hated Athletes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GQ's Top 10 Most Hated Athletes

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:51 am

GQ recently ran an article on the Top 10 Most Hate Athletes and I thought I'd run the list by you guys with some of my thoughts...

10. Lleyton Hewitt, Tennis : I don't know much about this guy except he gets booed in his home town in Australia where I guess people care about tennis.

09. A.J. Pierzynski, Baseball : Ah, the "clubhouse cancer" strikes again. Sox fans... your thoughts?

08. Phil Mickelson, Golf : I was kind of surprised by this one; He seems like a nice guy, but I guess he's a real a-hole if you actually know him. Leave it to a golfer to be overly arrogant.

07. Bonzi Wells, Basketball : When you're a talented basketball player and you've been traded three times in just a few years, especially in the NBA, well then you know you have problems.

06. Michael Iocanelli, Fishing : This is the one that's getting most attention for a few reasons. One is that he's a bass fisherman, and last I checked, anglers aren't really athletes. Apparently in the southern-conservative sport of fishing, this Jersey-ite yells and swears at the fish. Sounds like just the thing bass fishing needs; to bad I still don't watch it.

05. Kobe Bryant, Basketball : Remember how nice a guy Jordan was? Well, Kobe's now being considered as one of the best along with him, but apparently he's a real pompous ass.

04. Curt Schilling, Baseball : The other Sox fans, what are your thoughts? I've definitely heard that Schilling is a jerk, not just on the field but off. Apparently he's the prima donna of baseball, posing for pictures and showing himself off to the media. But does he really deserve number 4?

03. Kurt Busch, Nascar : Again, not a sport, so I don't care. I mean if you drive cars for a living, I'm simply going to assume the stereotype that you're a Bud Light guzzling redneck with a bad attitude anyway.

02. Barry Bonds, Baseball : Duh, not only is he arrogant to the press, his teammates and his fans, I know enough people who grew up in Pittsburgh during the Killer B's days and how Bobby Bonilla would sign autographs for hours after the games while Bonds would try to get him to stop giving in to them. I don't care how much wrveres likes him, he's a jerk.

01. Terrell Owens, Football : Surprised? Only that he's the only football player on the list.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:00 pm

I understand all of them on the list - Hewitt called somebody a retard once and play acted being mentally disabled. What a tool.

Surprised that Ron Artest and Alonzo Mourning are not on the list. Mourning is #1 on my list - that guy is the poster boy for everything that is wrong with pro sports.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm

I was surprised to see Artest omitted as well... I mean, the guy punched a fan.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:14 pm

I really don't think TO is that bad but thats just me.

I can see bonds #1 though he's a tool bag
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:32 pm

Hmm, surprised to not see Artest on there as well, that guy is an idiot. Also surprised to not see Kid Wonderful on the list as well. I would think that a lot of people hate him. If you ask me, he is symbolic of everything that is wrong with pro sports.

And Mook, why all the hate for Zo? I've actually always liked and rooted for the guy. But then again, Rodman is probably my all-time favorite NBA player, so maybe I'm a little off... :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:01 pm

06. Michael Iocanelli, Fishing : This is the one that's getting most attention for a few reasons. One is that he's a bass fisherman, and last I checked, anglers aren't really athletes. Apparently in the southern-conservative sport of fishing, this Jersey-ite yells and swears at the fish. Sounds like just the thing bass fishing needs; to bad I still don't watch it.

I was switching channels one Sunday morning and came across his show ... 8-o

He was such an ass, I ended up watching the whole thing ... Its the only time I have ever watched fishing in my life. He almost made it worth watching again ...

Yes.. He yells alot... very pompous, very confident ... and backs it up ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:45 pm

These are the things I like the most about these jerkoffs.

Hewitt: Apparantly he was playing James Blake (black) and a black linesman kept calling Hewitt for errors. Hewitt went to the head judge and pointed the linesman and asked him what the similarity was between he and Blake?

AJ: The most telling of the many, many (seriously, you wouldn’t believe how willing people were to talk about this guy) Pierzynski anecdotes we heard took place during spring training in 2004. Pierzynski, crouched behind the plate, took a pitch to the groin. Rushing to his aid, trainer Stan Conte asked him how he felt. “Like this!” Pierzynski grunted, then savagely kneed Conte in the balls.

Mickelson: I couldn't find anything other than other golfers thinking he's cocky. I didn't find anything Tiger doesn't do.

Bonzi: Recalls sportswriter Jason Quick, who covered Bonzi in Portland: “He would flip off a fan and the next day say, ‘I blacked out.’ He’s such a con man. When the TV lights went on, he’d put on that million-dollar smile, then be an #### when they left.” He spat, infamously, on Danny Ferry. He bitched constantly at his coaches. He was fined for bad-mouthing his own fans in Sports Illustrated. He made a veiled threat after a reporter wrote a negative story about him. “He told me, ‘Don’t be surprised one day if you show up to practice with a steak over your eye,’ ” Quick remembers. “And I said, ‘If you want to do that, I’ll be a rich man.’ He said, ‘I’m not dumb enough to do it myself. I’ll have my posse do it.’ ”

Iconelli: He has been coined as a Basshole (I love this).

No wakes means no wakes. “A lot of times, he has eight to ten boats following him,” says Brauer. At Lake Wissota in 2005, Brauer adds, “He would come charging into our area with his group and just totally ransack the whole little basin for an hour and then be gone. He ruined the water.”
Lose with honor. At the Bassmaster Classic—the Super Bowl of angling—in Charlotte in 2004, Iaconelli “was suffering from a bad day of fishing,” says rival Bernie Schultz, “and he deliberately fished out-of-bounds to get himself disqualified. It’s very difficult to even get qualified for that championship, and he turned it into a circus act. It was an inexcusable way of keeping himself in the forefront with the media. I know it was calculated. I know he did it purposefully.”

Kobe: We all know, SC has let us hear all about it.

Schilling: Seems to be the classic, what's best for me is what I do person.

So avid is Schilling’s longing for the spotlight that some of his peers raise doubts about his now legendary turn in the 2004 postseason, when he pitched on an ankle tendon that had been sutured in place. During Game 6, cameras cut repeatedly to the bright red stain on Schilling’s sock. It was blood, right? “The Diamondbacks people think he definitely doctored that sock,” says the sportswriter. The ex-teammate laughs: “All around baseball, people questioned that. It was funny how the stain didn’t spread.”

Busch: He may be my favorite ass.

Last November, after being pulled over outside Phoenix, Busch said to the officers on duty, “Aren’t you supposed to be directing traffic somewhere?” When the officers asked Busch to perform a field sobriety test, he said, “I’m not doing this #### test!” and was summarily cuffed and arrested (though later released). “We weren’t trying very hard to find out about anything, frankly,” says a source for Roush Racing, Busch’s former team. “But when we saw what the sheriff told the AP, we said, ‘We gotta get into it.’ Forget that he tried to spin it that he’d never had a drink. The whole police interaction, that whole level of flouting authority, is just so far out-of-bounds for the expected behavior of a NASCAR driver.”

During a race last October, he goes on, Busch said of his team’s owner over the radio, “Tell Jack Roush to stick his head up his ####.” And according to the Roush source, “Busch relentlessly criticized his teammates over the radio. He’d call ’em out during the race and tell ’em they’re going to be fired.” At one point this spring, Busch’s entire crew threatened to quit, until his crew chief, Jimmy Fenning, calmed them down.
When everything went Busch’s way on the track in 2004, the press began to think that maybe he’d grown up. “That was always our spin with him: He has matured,” says our Roush source.

Bonds: We all know

T.O.: We all know as well.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:39 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:And Mook, why all the hate for Zo? I've actually always liked and rooted for the guy. But then again, Rodman is probably my all-time favorite NBA player, so maybe I'm a little off... :-b

After his kidney surgery the Nets showed faith in him and gave him a 4 year $6M/yr contract. When the Nets started doing poorly he demanded a trade. Then he started criticizing the team for weeks on end he was just the biggest jerk until they finally traded him.

He was traded to the Raptors for Vince Carter. For Mourning this was going from bad to worse and he refused to show up. Not only did he not play he never even came to Canada. His excuse was that he was medically unfit to play but he also refused to retire and took up a lot of cap room. So he refused to play and he refused to retire and demanded that the Raptors buy him out. The Raptors were stupid and paid him $10M to buy out his contract. Of course one week later he is miraculously healthy again and signs with the Miami Heat and has been averaging about 7 pppg, 5 rpg and about 2.5 bpg.

This guy makes TO look like mother Theresa.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 pm

I too am a bit surprised not to see Artest's name on that list. Same goes for Tie Domi. Honestly, is there really a more hated man in professional hockey than Domi? The guy gets into it with everybody, fans included. Also somewhat surprised not to see David Beckham on the list. For as many people that adore him, there are at least as many who hate him.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:15 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I too am a bit surprised not to see Artest's name on that list. Same goes for Tie Domi. Honestly, is there really a more hated man in professional hockey than Domi? The guy gets into it with everybody, fans included. Also somewhat surprised not to see David Beckham on the list. For as many people that adore him, there are at least as many who hate him.

nobody likes soccer :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk