Bonds drops out of WBC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds drops out of WBC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:08 am

Slomo ...

I think you are overeacting here ...

simply think it's horribly wrong. I never had much of a problem with Barry one way or another but this definitely sways my opinion in a very negative light

so a 41 year old guy coming off three knee surguries decided not to play in an exhibition game, and this sways your opinion of him negatively?

After all that Barry has been thru in his career, it didn't effect you. But this ...... this one just pushes you over the top huh ..? :-o

------------------
I knew the day he annoucned that he MIGHT play, that he wasn't going too ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:13 am

Looking at it from a non-Barry-centred perspective :-° I think that this is actually better for Team USA. Not that Barry is not one of the best players in the game but this team already has enough All Stars to choose from and Barry is not exactly a "team" kinda guy.

The Americans are going to get a run for their money from the Dominicans and should be trying to put together a good team. They should try to copy the Canadian men's junior hockey team that just won gold and try to put together a good group of guys who like each other and work well as a team. None of those adjectives have ever applied to Barry (no disrespect intended).
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:08 am

wrveres wrote:Slomo ...

I think you are overeacting here ...

simply think it's horribly wrong. I never had much of a problem with Barry one way or another but this definitely sways my opinion in a very negative light

so a 41 year old guy coming off three knee surguries decided not to play in an exhibition game, and this sways your opinion of him negatively?

After all that Barry has been thru in his career, it didn't effect you. But this ...... this one just pushes you over the top huh ..? :-o

------------------
I knew the day he annoucned that he MIGHT play, that he wasn't going too ...

As I've said numerous times, it's not the fact that he's not playing that bothers me. It's the fact that he backed out on his commitment instead of saying so up front. Then, giving us a fairly BS reason to go along with it. Either say your knee is hurting when you didn't expect it to - or, play.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:14 am

I haven't been following along, but did you feel the same way when Arod flip-flopped, or any of the other players that have changed their mind for that matter ... curious ..
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:17 am

wrveres wrote:I haven't been following along, but did you feel the same way when Arod flip-flopped, or any of the other players that have changed their mind for that matter ... curious ..

I believe the only comment I made on any other players is when A-Rod finally decided to play last week I said that I respected him for deciding to play. I don't remember commenting towards anyone else for dropping out. To be honest, besides a-rod I haven't really paid attention to who is/isn't playing. At least in a-rod's decision was a last minute yes. He should have decided it earlier too, but it sounds like he'll end up playing.

Granted, Bonds could have waited until like the week before to announce this - so I'll give him some credit.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:32 am

I know everybody read that a-holes comments from rotoworld, and of course acted like sheep .... but did anybody read Bonds comments on why he is dropping out ?
I some how doubt it, a few of you maybe, but for the most part, no ..

Something that needs to be pointed out is he is due 18 million dollars (UNINSURED) this season ....

I am sure Sabean had a few things to say about this decision to play, and I would guess it carries alot more wieght than some jackass at Rotoworld.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:35 am

oh ....

and for you fools thinking he is just trying to Skirt the WBC drug testing ...

As of January 17th, every single participant has been subject to testing, so if that was the case, he would have dropped out earlier ..

and no, they don't announce when they are testing ..
and they don't make positive or negative results available to the media ..
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:35 am

wrveres wrote:oh ....

and for you fools thinking he is just trying to Skirt the WBC drug testing ...

As of January 17th, every single participant has been subject to testing, so if that was the case, he would have dropped out earlier ..

and no, they don't announce when they are testing ..
and they don't make positive or negative results available to the media ..
...you give the impression that BBonds has been tested ... that is UNKNOWN ..jan 17 marked the START of drug testing BUT as MLB spokesman stated.."he did not know if any MLB players had been tested during the first week" (SF chronicle article)...i do not think it is a good idea for any player w/a substantial injury history to be playing in this event however i am NOT a fool for thinking that Olympic style drug testing just might detect something other than flaxseed oil in bbonds...suggesting he has already been tested is deceptive at best and an outright lie at worst
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:48 am

I never once gave that impression

not once ..

Your post is a reach at best and an outright lie at worst
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:25 pm

..so what EXACTLY did you mean by writing ..."as of january 17, every single participant has been subject to testing.." ?? BTW, the whole bonds-steroids issue bores me and is riddled w/claptrap but i read your post as a statement that bbonds as a participant in the WBC had been tested..how else should i have interpreted your post ? c'mon readers, how do you read that post ??
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers