Bonds drops out of WBC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds drops out of WBC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds drops out of WBC

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Barry Bonds has pulled out of the World Baseball Classic, saying he didn't want to risk an injury.
Yeah, right. It seems more likely that he doesn't want to deal with Olympic-style drug testing. What better way for Bonds to remain healthy than to get his at-bats as a designated hitter in the WBC? He'll probably spend a lot of time hitting in minor league games now. Bonds' departure is quite a blow for the U.S. team's chances, though it would help the outfield defense quite a bit if Ken Griffey Jr. now becomes the primary DH. That could leave the team with Johnny Damon or Vernon Wells in center field.
--Rotoworld

I think the whole drug testing thing could be true, but i have not seen any recent pictures of him to see if his weight has changed drastically or anything. Too bad he dropped out though, I would have liked to watch him play in the tourney.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:39 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:Barry Bonds has pulled out of the World Baseball Classic, saying he didn't want to risk an injury.

I think the whole drug testing thing could be true, but i have not seen any recent pictures of him to see if his weight has changed drastically or anything. Too bad he dropped out though, I would have liked to watch him play in the tourney.

I saw on 1st and 10 today....yes i know woody and skip are morons but I felt like watching it....anyway they showed a recent clip of Barry and he looks just as big if not bigger then he has been the last few years....also if he seriously did that to avoid injury risk he needs to grow some balls and be a man.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:46 pm

Surprise surprise... ;-7

We all knew this was coming. Just a matter of time. If nothing else, Bonds was a PR guys for the WBC. They could throw his name out there to get ticket sales up. With the Giants hope riding on him and given his injury history, did anyone seriously think he was going to play in it?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:51 pm

I can understand him not playing. But, I do have a big problem with him committing and then backing out at this point. What exactly has changed in the time when he committed until now?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby eftda » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:52 pm

wow, people will go after bonds whenever he his name is in the news. 1. ) He is 41 years old
2. ) Just had major sugery on his knees
3. ) SF doesn't want him to play
4. ) He would rather have a WS ring
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:52 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:Barry Bonds has pulled out of the World Baseball Classic, saying he didn't want to risk an injury.

I saw on 1st and 10 today....yes i know woody and skip are morons but I felt like watching it....anyway they showed a recent clip of Barry and he looks just as big if not bigger then he has been the last few years....also if he seriously did that to avoid injury risk he needs to grow some balls and be a man.

Well, maybe Dr. Ting has come up with a new designed roid....no its flax seed oil...no vitamins.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AdvRider » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:52 pm

Maybe he heard he'd be batting second ... :-D 8-o :-D
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Thursday » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:53 pm

I watched that too, except on Cold Pizza. (Yeah, i should probably be sent to purgatory for that.) He still looks huge, and i don't think his weight is down at all.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:53 pm

slomo007 wrote:I can understand him not playing. But, I do have a big problem with him committing and then backing out at this point. What exactly has changed in the time when he committed until now?

He just played in a golf tourny over the weekend, maybe he felt something tweek. who knows. I do find it disrespectful to drop out like that.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:55 pm

Thursday wrote:

I watched that too, except on Cold Pizza. (Yeah, i should probably be sent to purgatory for that.) He still looks huge, and i don't think his weight is down at all.

"After the announcement I received a lot of criticism as well as concern from fans and my family and friends," he said. "The obvious objections were about my health and whether or not I would be ready to play. In the end, I decided that I can't take any chances that might jeopardize my season. I don't want to give the impression that the WBC is not important. I know this means a lot to showcasing our sport worldwide, and the patriotism of playing for Team USA would have been a great honor. I feel what is best for me, my family, the Giants, and our fans is that I sit the WBC out."
Last edited by eftda on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers