2006 Cleveland Indians: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2006 Cleveland Indians:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2006 Cleveland Indians:

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:50 pm

How do you guys think the Indians will do this year? I think they have a rock solid team, but if I was them I would sign a couple free agents just for insurance. Antonio Alfonseca is out there. He didn't fair too well last year, but he is just one season removed from a 6 win, 13 hold/2.57 ERA season. To give more depth to the outfield, I think they should also sign either Jeff DaVanon or Richard Hidalgo. If Jason Michaels isn't ready yet, or Casey Blake is having another ruff year they could start without being horrible. And with Jason Johnson the 5th starter, if Kevin Brown would settle for a small contract why not give him another chance.

If they make another signing or two they could have a really good depth chart looking something like this

Lineup:
CF Grady Sizemore
LF Jason Michaels
SS Jhonny Perelta
DH Travis Hafner
C Victor Martinez
1B Ben Broussard
2B Ronnie Belliard
3B Andy Marte
RF Casey Blake

Bench:
Aaron Boone, Franklin Gutierrez, Jason Dubois, Eduardo Perez, Ryan Garko, and either Hidalgo or DaVanon.

Starters:
LHP C.C. Sabathia
RHP Jake Westbrook
LHP Cliff Lee
RHP Paul Byrd
RHP Jason Johnson/Kevin Brown

Bullpen:(assuming Arthur Rhodes is traded)
Rafael Betancourt, Fernando Cabrera, Matt Miller, G. Mota, Scott Sauerbeck, David Riskie(?), Kaz Tadano, Antonio Alfonseco and Bob Wickman.

The way this looks, and even if they don't make any more minor signings, I would say that their lineup is defiently above average, probably a top 5 in the AL. Their rotation is about average maybe just slightly above average, and the bullpen if atleast half of those guys have years they are capable of, will be way above average. I could see them winning the Central. What do you think?
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:12 am

Word coming out of Cleveland is that Matre at least starts the year at triple A. He Could be up quickly depending on how Boone plays.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:36 am

Yeah, Boone will be the starter for at least the first half of the season would be my guess. I think they have a shot at the central, I think the White Sox way overproduced last year though so they will slide some.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:48 am

I think they will do well based solely on their division. I think they have a pretty good team, but it's just not quite there IMO.

Their lineup has some question marks. I am not 100% sold on Peralta, nobody knows what Michaels will do or Marte when he comes up.

I don't know if Belliard is as solid as he has the past year or so.

If all the pieces live up to potential then they have a good team (still no Boston, LAA, NYY, CHI). They will still be battling for a Wild Card spot. I don't see them beating CHI.

Their rotation is nothing special if you ask me. I don't think CC is an ace, Westbrook faded a little last year. Lee is a solid number 3 or 4 type along with Byrd. With all of this said they don't have a great rotation, IMO they have about 3 number 3's and 2 5's. All of their pitchers are big league level pitchers, just nothing great.

Just my 2 cents.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:21 am

Sizemore, Perralta, Hafner, VMart, Marte makes a very nice offense with solid players like Michaels and Broussard... but IMO that rotation is ugly, and they will never become an elite team unless they improve that in a big way. (Sucks that Adam Miller got hurt, he's a stud :-o )
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:35 am

no way is marte starting the season in the majors...if they trade for michaels, he'll play, hes been up for about 4 years now so its not like hes an inexperienced guy. Even though his avg has been fairly high the past two seasons, i dont consider him an everyday player or even a 2 hole hitter by any means. never has done anything to impress me other than knocking out those pigs!

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:49 am

Westbrook should be their third in the rotation. I think Lee only gets better this year and deservingly should be above Westbrook in 06'.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Ditka311 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:02 am

Ender wrote:Yeah, Boone will be the starter for at least the first half of the season would be my guess. I think they have a shot at the central, I think the White Sox way overproduced last year though so they will slide some.

Yeah, maybe. But the World Series Champion White Sox also made some moves to make their team better this year.
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pat1999 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:10 pm

i like the indians as well..they have a lot of young talent..but i just dont see them topping the white sox

chicago is gonn repeat in the AL
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:28 pm

That pitching is still pretty so-so. There is no one there fit to be a #1 starter or even a #2 starter on a good playoff team.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers