Hardball's Top 20 2B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hardball's Top 20 2B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hardball's Top 20 2B

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:24 pm

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... -for-2006/

I like hardballtimes. I read there articles because they are insightful and allow me to look at obscurish stats.

That being said, I haven't liked the rankings they've produced for 2006 at all. Alfonso Soriano, 10th!??? Brian Roberts 11th? These aren't value picks that are being discussed, these are straight rankings. I haven't done my 2B rankings yet, but I'm betting they won't look very similar to this.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Anyone who would take Ellis ahead of Giles or Soriano needs to reevaluate their rankings.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:30 pm

Brian Roberts should be around 11. He has not yet recovered from the elbow injury, and you should let someone else overpay for last years numbers.

Soriano 10? Im wondering about that too. I think he should be somewhere in 2 to 5. Your definately going to see a signifigant drop in Sori's numbers but 2b is so shallow that hell still be near the top.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:Brian Roberts should be around 11. He has not yet recovered from the elbow injury, and you should let someone else overpay for last years numbers.

Soriano 10? Im wondering about that too. I think he should be somewhere in 2 to 5. Your definately going to see a signifigant drop in Sori's numbers but 2b is so shallow that hell still be near the top.

I'm not arguing that someone should pick Roberts, but I will argue that after the season his numbers will put him as the 11th best 2B.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby shortsavage » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:39 am

The author also has Figgins as his #1 guy at 2B, calling him worthy of a $15 bid. I bet Figgins goes for twice that much in a bunch of leagues.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby rjforlife » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:52 am

shortsavage wrote:The author also has Figgins as his #1 guy at 2B, calling him worthy of a $15 bid. I bet Figgins goes for twice that much in a bunch of leagues.

concur.....id think the major league leader in steals with quality secondary numbers could scratch out a shade more than 15 bucks.....3 position eligibility also. hes at least a 22-25 guy and 30 in some leagues.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

2b rankings

Postby Eightan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:54 pm

people keep talking about soriano's move to a bigger park... those people seem to forget that he hit 38 or so homers two years in a row as a right handed hitter in yankee stadium. now i don't know the measurements of the two parks (i.e. yankee stadium and in washington) but i think the fact that only 2 or so right handed hitters in yankee history have hit more than 40 homers in a single season is telling. bottom line, sori hitting 38 at yankee stadium is impressive and i'm sure he can do it again in washington.
you can't live the dream, if you don't play the game
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:09 pm

Worthy of a $15 bid? In what league? So to have him "worthy of a $15 bid" is to me, a clueless writer who doesn't understand the factors on draft day. Why bother reading drivel like that when you get more insightful analysis for free at the cafe?

That guy is ridiculous.....whoever he is....I don't care if it is free
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Re: 2b rankings

Postby Webster11 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:14 pm

Eightan wrote:people keep talking about soriano's move to a bigger park... those people seem to forget that he hit 38 or so homers two years in a row as a right handed hitter in yankee stadium. now i don't know the measurements of the two parks (i.e. yankee stadium and in washington) but i think the fact that only 2 or so right handed hitters in yankee history have hit more than 40 homers in a single season is telling. bottom line, sori hitting 38 at yankee stadium is impressive and i'm sure he can do it again in washington.

No need to look back at his stats from 2 years ago, just look at his stats from last year. He hit .315 with 60 runs, 25 hrs, 73 rbi, and 14 sb at home in one of the best hitters parks. Away from arlington he hit .224 with 42 runs, 11 hr, 31 rbi, and 16 sb. Now hes moving to one of the best pitchers parks so his home numbers will probably be even worse than his away numbers this year. He may be good for some steals and hrs but thats about it, and his avg could kill you. Id avoid him completely on draft day because theres bound to be someone who drafts him thinking theyll be getting a repeat of last years numbers.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Re: 2b rankings

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:52 pm

Webster11 wrote:
Eightan wrote:people keep talking about soriano's move to a bigger park... those people seem to forget that he hit 38 or so homers two years in a row as a right handed hitter in yankee stadium. now i don't know the measurements of the two parks (i.e. yankee stadium and in washington) but i think the fact that only 2 or so right handed hitters in yankee history have hit more than 40 homers in a single season is telling. bottom line, sori hitting 38 at yankee stadium is impressive and i'm sure he can do it again in washington.

No need to look back at his stats from 2 years ago, just look at his stats from last year. He hit .315 with 60 runs, 25 hrs, 73 rbi, and 14 sb at home in one of the best hitters parks. Away from arlington he hit .224 with 42 runs, 11 hr, 31 rbi, and 16 sb. Now hes moving to one of the best pitchers parks so his home numbers will probably be even worse than his away numbers this year. He may be good for some steals and hrs but thats about it, and his avg could kill you. Id avoid him completely on draft day because theres bound to be someone who drafts him thinking theyll be getting a repeat of last years numbers.

Soriano is an undiscipline hack. Always has been. One of these years his lack of plate discipline is going to catch up with him. Comparisons to Juan Samuel are not reaching imo. Similar type players (Samuel had less power though). Had 8 or so good years and then became pretty lousy at about age 30.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers