Zach Duke? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zach Duke?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zach Duke?

Postby bmd » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:01 am

What are everyone's thoughts on Duke? He came up last year and pitched well. Is Duke going to be one of the next good stud pitchers or will the league figure him out the more they see him? Who does everyone compare him to?
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:34 am

I've heard Duke being compared to Glavine. I watched just a few of his games last year and I was impressed by his polish, and how well he mixed up his pitches last year. The problem with finesse pitchers is that their window of opportunity is much smaller than power pitchers. In every generation there will be more pitchers like Roger Clemens who strike out a ton of hitters and succeed, then there are Glavines who get by of guile and location. You also have to take into consideration that he's playing for the Pirates for the next couple of year. Temper your expectations accordingly.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pochucker » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Music2004Man is right on the money. I grabbed Duke on CBS soon as I heard he was coming up last year. Obviously did great for me. However now everyone knows and will draft him as a 2/3 spot pitcher I see him as a 4/5 spot (fantasy) . Finesse pitchers scare me! Hes talented no doubt butwant to see more after teams have seen him several times.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Duke has great talent, but he plays on a terrible team. He'll struggle some this year since he's now been thrust into the "staff ace" role. Note the fate of the last 3 Pirates "ace" pitchers (Benson, Wells, Perez). Granted, Duke may be better than all of them, but he got fairly lucky last year that the Pirates decided to score 3-4 runs in most of the games he pitched giving him a good record.

I know not many people take stock in the #1 vs. #1 pitcher argument, but I do. I see Duke going against the #1 or #2 opposing starter at least 8-10 times this year when you count the matchups of the first two weeks of the year and the all-star break plus a few due to random scheduling. When the Pirates play these pitchers, they probably aren't going to score many runs which will lead to many ND's and possible losses.

These are some preliminary predictions I have made on him on another board. I give him lower totals because Lord knows Pirates starters always get hurt and miss a start here and there...I'm probably no better at predicting than anyone else, but here were my gut feelings:

30 starts
190 IP
200 H
60 BB
100 K
80 ER
3.79 ERA
1.37 WHIP
12 W
11 L
7 ND's

Probably good for 4th or 5th starter status I'd say.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Thursday » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:04 pm

This thread is exactly correct. Mercer and MusicMan both hit the nail, because Duke is primed for a down year, IMO.

Mercer, you should update your sig there, buddy. ;-D
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Mercer,

I know we don't talk about Pirates players too much, but it's always nice to get a Pittsburgh fans opinion when we do. Thanks for your insight.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:34 pm

Thursday wrote:This thread is exactly correct. Mercer and MusicMan both hit the nail, because Duke is primed for a down year, IMO.

Mercer, you should update your sig there, buddy. ;-D

Yeah it's up to 13 years now with no end in sight. :-P I'll have to make a new one sometime soon. I've been spending less and less time on Photoshop and more time with poker. :-b

Thank you Music2004Man! The Pirates are the only team I watch and know anything about, so that's why I try to comment on any thread involving the Pirates...I'm not that well-versed on other players or even fantasy baseball that much, so I try to stick to what I know. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:12 pm

I think Duke would be a nice pickup. He might be up and down since he's young but hey he'll probably be better then a lot of veterans
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers