Would you be comfortable with Felix as your ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would you be comfortable with Felix as your ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:31 pm

Yoda wrote:No way. You don't want to be risking your entire season on a rookie no matter who it is. Just not smart to play it that way.

Fortunately, Hernandez is not a rookie.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:38 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Yoda wrote:No way. You don't want to be risking your entire season on a rookie no matter who it is. Just not smart to play it that way.

Technically no he's not. Realistically yes he is. He won't have a complete season under his belt until halfway through the season.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DevilDriver » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:40 pm

Felix is overrated....NO
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:53 pm

shortsavage wrote:

Let me rephrase that:

You don't want to be risking your entire season on a 2nd year player who has yet to pitch an entire season in the MLB.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

Technically no he's not. Realistically yes he is. He won't have a complete season under his belt until halfway through the season.

So, David Wright was a rookie entering last season?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Jenkins » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:59 pm

Felix is as good as anyone short of Johan, Peavy, Pedro, Halladay.

I would feel comfortable with him. He is unproven, but his stuff is proven.

Does anyone remember watching him last year on ESPN where they showed his arm motion on the fastball, curveball, and changeup? They did all three at the same time, they were exactly the same. Not even a millimeter difference in speed or slot.

The pitches were all nasty whether it is the heat, change, or disgusting curves. As a hitter, you can get absolutely no read, you are purely guessing.

Barring injury, he has proven enough to me to be the ace of any staff. Everyone who is is down on him will be putting their foot in their mouth shortly.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:16 pm

Jenkins wrote:Felix is as good as anyone short of Johan, Peavy, Pedro, Halladay.

I would feel comfortable with him. He is unproven, but his stuff is proven.

Does anyone remember watching him last year on ESPN where they showed his arm motion on the fastball, curveball, and changeup? They did all three at the same time, they were exactly the same. Not even a millimeter difference in speed or slot.

The pitches were all nasty whether it is the heat, change, or disgusting curves. As a hitter, you can get absolutely no read, you are purely guessing.

Barring injury, he has proven enough to me to be the ace of any staff. Everyone who is is down on him will be putting their foot in their mouth shortly.

says Felix's Fanboy with his picture in his sig...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:19 pm

Just want to jingle in with a few things:

First of all...Roy Oswalt is not that good, at least in comparison to the other pitchers listed as aces in fantasy baseball. Oswalt's WHIP last season was less influential on a fantasy team than Derrick Turnbow's. A lot of people will point to the amount of wins Oswalt has fetched the last two seasons, though they forget that the same offense Oswalt had last season, let down all Roger Clemens owners. In other words, it's not wise to draft based on Ws.

Oswalt's H/9 have increased in all but one season:
8.00, 8.30, 8.20, 8.85, 9.05.
Oswalt's K/9 have decreased in all but one season:
9.15, 8.03, 7.63, 7.82, 6.85.

Oswalt's opponents hit .262 against him last season. That's worse than Derek Lowe.

I think Hernandez can (and will) outperform Oswalt next season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:43 pm

davidmarver wrote:Just want to jingle in with a few things:

First of all...Roy Oswalt is not that good, at least in comparison to the other pitchers listed as aces in fantasy baseball. Oswalt's WHIP last season was less influential on a fantasy team than Derrick Turnbow's. A lot of people will point to the amount of wins Oswalt has fetched the last two seasons, though they forget that the same offense Oswalt had last season, let down all Roger Clemens owners. In other words, it's not wise to draft based on Ws.

Oswalt's H/9 have increased in all but one season:
8.00, 8.30, 8.20, 8.85, 9.05.
Oswalt's K/9 have decreased in all but one season:
9.15, 8.03, 7.63, 7.82, 6.85.

Oswalt's opponents hit .262 against him last season. That's worse than Derek Lowe.

I think Hernandez can (and will) outperform Oswalt next season.

I was hoping this would stay a little quite. The Cow was the only other one mentioning that Oswalt is a little overrated but since no one likes him :-D I thought it would go through def ears!

Don't get me wrong I do like Oswalt but he is definately one of the "worst" front line starters out there when people usually have him top 5. Anyway, its nit picky but it is what it is.....

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:37 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

So, David Wright was a rookie entering last season?

I think so.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers