100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Benson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benson

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:37 pm

yay or nay on the trade....

Right now, I have to go Nay.

For me, he was our number three starter by a fairly large margin, and could have performed as our number 2 this season. I just don't have that much faith in Glavine anymore. So, right now we lost that depth, and unless we see a deal for Zito or the like.... :-t
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby patchyfogg » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:38 pm

I'm a Nay, too.

He really came into his own last year as a solid #2 starter, and I wanted to see how he would build on it.

Omar succeeded in letting Anna's words ring true, too.
patchyfogg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:46 pm

Nay.

On the days he was on, he was dominant. At least from the two games I watched him.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 am

The more i've thought about this, the more confused I am... why trade Benson for Jorge Julio, a pitcher whose ERA has skyrocketed since an above average year in 2002? Plus, our bullpen is simply full of righties.

I understand Heilman wants to start, but now I'd be in favor of trading him if it lands Zito. Otherwise, I'll be very disappointed with this trade.

Plus, we went from a team with some of the most depth in the starting rotation in the league (Martinez, Glavine, Benson, Trachsel, Seo) to mediocre at best (Martinez, Glavine, Trachsel, Zambrano, Heilman).

I guess some of it rides on how Heilman performs... he has an awful lot of potential, but I thought with his wicked changeup he'd still be a better fit in the bullpen.

The Pro Sports Daily highly unreliable rumor mill is reporting from a few sources that the Mets are also interested in Jeff Weaver. I don't know how I feel about that, but Zito is mentioned as well, a day after the following:

"As for other moves, Jeff Weaver, Ramirez and Barry Zito aren't current options, and Kaz Matsui remains unmovable. A team official said signing outfielder Jeff DaVanon isn't likely, and Minaya indicated he's keeping Victor Diaz."

That's in direct opposition to the Zito trade rumors and talks of nabbing Lugo in exchange for, at least, Matsui (if it's possible to move his over-inflated salary, even if the Mets eat most of it, which they'd have to).
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm honestly surprised that you're all panning this trade. Talent-wise, it's pretty even. I think you're losing out there, but not by much, especially if Maine can ever get back whatever he lost about a year and a half ago. Salary-wise, though, I think it's pretty clear you guys won this.

I think you're pretty clearly going to sign another starter now, though it remains to be seen who it will be.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:05 pm

The Mets seem to believe that Alay Soler and Brian Bannister can give similar production as Benson and Seo for a lot less money while filling out the bullpen. We'll see whether or not they're right but it really isn't that far-fetched since Benson is mediocre and Seo is less than that.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets