Heilman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Heilman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:50 pm

The main difference in Heilman was the change in the arm angle of his delivery. After the change the movement on Heilman's fastball is nasty and this made his change-up a lot more effective. Before the change the fastball was a flat 90-mph meatball. With these two pitches working in concert Heilman was really effective pitching out of the pen.

Unfortunately not too many starters can get by successfully just throwing a fastball/change-up. His success as a starter will probably rely on how well he can throw his slider. Last year he had some impressive starts but overall he was rather mediocre (4.71 ERA in 42 IP) when starting.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:59 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:I see him traded to another team where hell be in long relief.

I doubt it. No one pays very much for a long reliever, and I doubt the Mets would trade Heilman for "not very much".
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jolokhs » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:03 am

does any met fan out there remember that even befor he cracked the major league ball club he was untouchable. via soriano. since hes changed his arm angle he has put up some nasty numbers in the pen and the rotation. hes had a whole winter to reestablish his arm angle, that was changed for some silly reason. granted he can be a very good relief pitcher but iam sure that can be said about alot of starters. he deserves a shot at the rotation but prob can get him off the wire unless he has a sick sp. can anyone teach him a new pitch ? where the hell is peterson, earn ur paychech...
vote for pedro
jolokhs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:32 pm

jolokhs wrote:does any met fan out there remember that even befor he cracked the major league ball club he was untouchable. via soriano. since hes changed his arm angle he has put up some nasty numbers in the pen and the rotation. hes had a whole winter to reestablish his arm angle, that was changed for some silly reason. granted he can be a very good relief pitcher but iam sure that can be said about alot of starters. he deserves a shot at the rotation but prob can get him off the wire unless he has a sick sp. can anyone teach him a new pitch ? where the hell is peterson, earn ur paychech...

I'd say peterson is earning his paychech [sic] just fine... basically we sometimes forget that he's still pretty young, about 28 I think, and has some developing to do. That said, as a Mets fan, I do think he would have been more effective in the bullpen since his changeup is pretty effective against lefty hitters.

As of now it seems that Heilman would have been better in the pen than Julio and Benson would have been better in the rotation than Heilman. But who knows, maybe Omar is cooking up something and a good deal is riding on how well Maine pitches.

I'd still love to see Zito come to the Mets, but that seems like a more like mid-season trade if the A's fall out of contention.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers