coco crisp to bosox for marte and mota - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

coco crisp to bosox for marte and mota

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I think...

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm a rationale BoSox Fan.

In regards to the Arroyo/Hunter deal it actually does make a bit of sense. #1: The Twins drop over 8mil in payroll. That is a huge factor. #2: Pitching it at a huge shortage. I think their idea was to keep Arroyo who has 3 years remaining on his deal and deal Radke or Silva for cheap offensive help #3: Hunter is a free agent and will DEFINATELY be gone. His trade value isn't that high, the Twins aren't going to beat the White Sox or Indians - so this is a rebuilding year.
D-Mat, Schilling, Beckett, and Papelbon - Wow!
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I think...

Postby Wozzyck » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:35 pm

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:#1: The Twins drop over 8mil in payroll. That is a huge factor.

Their payroll wouldn't drop over 8mil in total or in 2006.

GreenMonsterGoon wrote: #2: Pitching it at a huge shortage. I think their idea was to keep Arroyo who has 3 years remaining on his deal and deal Radke or Silva for cheap offensive help.

I would doubt that their ideas ever included such a thing. I don't know where you would be getting this, other than through idle speculation on your part. And anyways, Arroyo's 3-year deal didn't exist a week ago.

GreenMonsterGoon wrote:#3: Hunter is a free agent and will DEFINATELY be gone. His trade value isn't that high, the Twins aren't going to beat the White Sox or Indians - so this is a rebuilding year.

Firstly, there's little reason for the Twins to approach this season as a rebuilding year. Their pitching staff is still very strong and will likely benefit from the full-time additions of Liriano and Baker. Their offense was miserable last season, but I would imagine that they expect an improvement with the returns of Hunter and Kubel, also having hope that Morneau rebounds. (The additions of Castillo and White should also help.) Just because the White Sox and Indians seem to be better doesn't mean they should abandon the season; they're still in the mix.

And if this were a rebuilding year, an Arroyo/Hunter trade wouldn't be especially desirable. 29-year-old league-average starters earning $3-4mil have value, but I would say less to a rebuilding team, especially one with some depth in starting pitching.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Apollo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:37 pm

Hoynes is reporting that Manny Delcarmen is also coming to the Tribe from Boston.

I'm no prospect maven, so someone else will have to tell me whether he's any good.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Wozzyck » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:44 pm

Apollo wrote:Hoynes is reporting that Manny Delcarmen is also coming to the Tribe from Boston.

link?
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:06 pm

The Indians-Boston portion of the trade could include six players: Crisp and two players from the low minors going to Boston for Marte, Mota and, perhaps, right-hander Manny Delcarmen. He was Boston's second-round pick in 2000.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1138008716263410.xml&coll=2

Delcarmen is a Jamica Plain (Boston) native and popular among red sox fans. He is a hard trhowing reilf pitcher who can 100 mph.

sounds like seculation on Hoyes part, not fact.

Gordon Edes was saying ealier in the day that Bard and Riske were going to Boston and Shoppach going back to the Tribe.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Apollo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:10 am

You're right, I reported that a little irresponsibly. Upon re-reading it, Hoynes wasn't saying anything definite.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mighty Monks » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:31 am

thedude wrote:
Gordon Edes was saying ealier in the day that Bard and Riske were going to Boston and Shoppach going back to the Tribe.
LIving up here in the NE as well and listening to WEEI this is exactly the deal that I heard all day yesterday as well.
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zhutou » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:50 pm

Report: Flunked physical has Crisp deal on hold

WIP radio in Philadelphia is reporting that the Coco Crisp trade is being held up because Red Sox reliever Guillermo Mota failed his physical.
Concerns about Mota's elbow or shoulder are apparently providing a stumbling block, but they may not kill the deal. There's been talk of Red Sox reliever Manny Delcarmen being involved, with him maybe replacing Mota in the deal. It's also possible that David Riske could be taken out of the trade. If the Indians can get Andy Marte, they shouldn't let the relievers stand in the way. It's just too good of a trade for them. The Phillies would also come away disappointed if the Crisp deal doesn't go down, as they won't be getting Arthur Rhodes in return for Jason Michaels. Jan. 24 - 5:05 pm et
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby converge241 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:42 pm

P.I.T.A.
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 102)

Previous