coco crisp to bosox for marte and mota - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

coco crisp to bosox for marte and mota

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:48 pm

KOSTAS wrote:
tms298 wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:Let's see who Cleveland can send out there in the #4 and #5 spots this year. Marte won't help them til 2007.

I would bet Perralta, Hafner and V. Martinez might be in those spots.

um, I was talking about pitching spots :-)

Who will they have as their 4th and 5th starters if they keep Crisp? The same exact people. Trading Crisp has no effect on who the 4th/5th starters will be.

So what was the point?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KOSTAS » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:51 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:
tms298 wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:Let's see who Cleveland can send out there in the #4 and #5 spots this year. Marte won't help them til 2007.

I would bet Perralta, Hafner and V. Martinez might be in those spots.

um, I was talking about pitching spots :-)

Who will they have as their 4th and 5th starters if they keep Crisp? The same exact people. Trading Crisp has no effect on who the 4th/5th starters will be.

So what was the point?

You missed the initial context of the post. Go back and do your homework before yapping.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby djacks » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:10 am

SI.com has a story on it now...similar to the other stories...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/b ... index.html
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Apollo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:41 am

It just scrolled across ESPN's bottom line, so the sources are piling up now.

Also, Hoynes is a very good reporter, so that would have been enough for me.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J_Cuz » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:54 am

This has to be done, because they are already announcing Rhodes and Betancourt for Michaels on Philly radio.

;-D
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Cow » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:59 am

Tribe's SPs

1. Sabathia- solid

2. Lee- solid

3. Westbrook- solid

4. Byrd- less than solid

5. Jason Johnson- gulp!!! This was a bad signing

Tribe lost Millwood and Elarton and replaced them with Byrd and Johnson.

The Tribe does have some solid young pitchers to take over for Johnson when he sucks and Byrd when he gets hurt.

I have no idea what the Tribe's SPs has to do with Crisp, but there you go.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wozzyck » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:19 am

Apollo wrote:It just scrolled across ESPN's bottom line, so the sources are piling up now.

Also, Hoynes is a very good reporter, so that would have been enough for me.

However, SI and ESPN are relying seemingly exclusively on the Boston Herald report, so the sources aren't really piling up. And the content of the Hoynes blog entry seems like a total hedge against its title. Undoubtedly, a Crisp/Marte deal was/is being discussed, but I would say that a lot of this is baseball reporters trying to dig up good copy with a deal that's yet to materialize.

J_Cuz wrote:This has to be done, because they are already announcing Rhodes and Betancourt for Michaels on Philly radio.

Again, I would bet that the guys at the radio station caught wind of this story like all of us have and are merely relaying what they've read (or misread, as the rumors have it being either one or the other or maybe Riske or maybe Mota...), without any new information.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby looptid » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:13 am

Steve-o wrote:
Ender wrote:Yeah I'm sure a mid market team who finally has a window open to become a player in the playoffs is going to trade away their young talented SS and a key OF for some prospects and a setup man coming off an injury riddled season. Gotta love the Red Sox/Yankee rumor mill where its assumed all smaller market teams are there just to feed them talent.

I think this is exactly what is going on. Wishful thinking by one of the hundreds of reporters out in Boston.

I'm jumping into this stuff a few days late, but I wanted to second the above. Some truly stupid stuff comes out of the mouths of Boston fans, talk radio hosts, and reporters. Peralta? Are you kidding me? The Torii Hunter for Bronson Arroyo deal had to be my favorite laughable rumor of the offseason.

2005 Twins MLB Rank
Runs Scored - 25th
ERA - 7th

Yeah, the Twins really need Arroyo to duke it out with Lohse in camp to see who would be the 4th starter behind Santana, Silva, and Radke. Totally worth downgrading an already miserable offense. (Does that drip with sarcasm and contempt enough? It is hard to achieve through text alone.)

They've signed Tony Batista to play third base, they're so desperate for power, for crying out loud!

I'm trying to keep this a family show, so... What "fudging" universe does the above-referenced Boston contingent inhabit? Certainly not the one the rest of baseball does.

Cleveland would totally trade their young prospect shortstop who has already done well in the majors, in addition to one of their starting outfielders, for another prospect that is at least a year away from the show and a middle reliever with arm problems and a large contract. Because Mota is worth Crip straight up, and you'd definately want a third baseman with 24 major league games to his name over a shortstop who slugged .520 and hit 24 homeruns as a 23 year-old.

Boston Dirt Dogs 1, Reality 0
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:06 pm

Red Sox get an above average player who can fill in and help them now. Indians continue to stock up their young team.

Coco IMO, at age 26 entering 2006, is pretty close to his peak based on his career numbers:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... risp.shtml

So Boston gets a pretty decent proven CF to fill their holes. Based on what is available, that is not too bad.

But in the long run, I think Cleveland wins this one.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bucksox » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:04 pm

[quote="Yoda"]Red Sox get an above average player who can fill in and help them now. Indians continue to stock up their young team.

quote]

well, that is what teams who try to stay in the hunt every year have to do from time to time. It is not the end of the world for the red sox. I like it for both teams, and the sox have a lot of prospects coming up.
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers