coco crisp to bosox for marte and mota - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

coco crisp to bosox for marte and mota

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:14 am

Are people here delusional? A "key" OF? Coco Crisp is a nice player, but the guy had a .300/.345/.465 line last year. That's really not that special when you have a guy like Sizemore filling in. I gaurantee you Michaels won't be that big of a downgrade... Marte is a freaking stud, I don't yet understand one argument as to why he's an overrated prospect other than "he sucks cuz he cant hit .400" ... he's a stud defensive 3B with great plate patience and great power, who's produced everywhere he's gone without repeating any level, at a very young age. What more do you want?

$10 says the Sox look back at this deal and kick themselves in the balls.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:17 am

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=122417&format=&page=3

According to Tony Maz, the BoSox get Crisp and Sign Alex Gonzalez. Not a great move, but could be worse (like Lugo).
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:22 am

brandnew wrote:$10 says the Sox look back at this deal and kick themselves in the balls.

I completly agree.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby KOSTAS » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:25 am

$20 says the other way around. Cleveland will regret this one- especially in 2006 when the Red Sox get to the playoffs and they don't.

Until we know who the other prospects are, it's way too early to judge this deal. I bet Theo deftly wrestled one of Cleveland's fine young 1B prospects away in this deal, filling another big need for Boston in 2007 and beyond.

This was a great move by Boston in filling one of their key holes by trading from their depth at 3B.

Go SOX!!!
Last edited by KOSTAS on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:38 am

brandnew wrote:Are people here delusional? A "key" OF? Coco Crisp is a nice player, but the guy had a .300/.345/.465 line last year. That's really not that special when you have a guy like Sizemore filling in. I gaurantee you Michaels won't be that big of a downgrade... Marte is a freaking stud, I don't yet understand one argument as to why he's an overrated prospect other than "he sucks cuz he cant hit .400" ... he's a stud defensive 3B with great plate patience and great power, who's produced everywhere he's gone without repeating any level, at a very young age. What more do you want?

$10 says the Sox look back at this deal and kick themselves in the balls.

Yeah, but Crisp was, what, 22 when he put up those numbers? This kid can be a stud in a few years. Perhaps not as strong a hitter as Marte, but he might get close, and he'll definitely be a better base runner. Also, Crisp is a plus defensive CF while Marte is an average-at-best defensive 3B. It's not a bad deal for the Sox, especially if they get good prospects in return. A strong-hitting 1B would be a great fit for them, as I can almost guarantee that Nixon or Millar (I think it's one of them who's there currently...) isn't their long-term solution at 1B.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:42 am

KOSTAS wrote:$20 says the other way around. Cleveland will regret this one- especially in 2006 when the Red Sox get to the playoffs and they don't.

Until we know who the other prospects are, it's way too early to jusge this deal. I bet Theo smartly wrestled one of Cleveland's fine young 1B prospects in this deal, filling a big need for Boston in 2007 and beyond.

This was a great move by Boston in filling one of their key holes by trading from their depth at 3B.

This sounds like blind homerism. I sincerely doubt Theo "smartly wrestled one of Cleveland's fine young 1B prospects to fill Boston's big need." I'm so sure that Shapiro just handed the Sox the next stud first bagger just because of Theo's sheer amazingness. Most of the time the player is not named when the deal is reported, it's because the player is not very significant. Crisp is not going to be a deciding factor in whether the Red Sox make the playoffs or not. If anything, Marte would be more of a deciding factor if/when Lowell sucks ass at 3B. Trading for Reed using Arroyo would have been a MUCH better deal.

They filled up a hole that could have been filled without trading a stud prospect at a position that has less depth than you think.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby KOSTAS » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:47 am

that's your opinion, but I will put my money behind Theo anyday.

Time will tell. That's why they play the games. Arroyo is a fine pitcher and he gives the Sox insurance and maybe the deepest staff in the AL this year. Pitching and defense wins and adding a great defensive OF in Crisp and a good gloveman like Agone _without_ having to give up an everyday position player or more importantly, a quality arm is a great move.

Let's see who Cleveland can send out there in the #4 and #5 spots this year. Marte won't help them til 2007. They lost defense and offense in their OF not to mention their #2 hitter. Cleveland is a weaker team in 2006 and the Sox strengthend themselves considerably.

Just remember this post next Fall.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dyuen87 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:48 am

KOSTAS wrote: Arroyo is a fine pitcher and he gives the Sox insurance and maybe the deepest staff in the AL this year.

8-o :-? say what? they dont have the deepest pitching staff in the AL East, let alone the entire AL, what happened to the White Sox. Maybe im reading this wrong cuz of this hangover, but what?
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tribefan » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:55 am

brandnew wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:$20 says the other way around. Cleveland will regret this one- especially in 2006 when the Red Sox get to the playoffs and they don't.

Until we know who the other prospects are, it's way too early to jusge this deal. I bet Theo smartly wrestled one of Cleveland's fine young 1B prospects in this deal, filling a big need for Boston in 2007 and beyond.

This sounds like blind homerism. I sincerely doubt Theo "smartly wrestled one of Cleveland's fine young 1B prospects to fill Boston's big need." I'm so sure that Shapiro just handed the Sox the next stud first bagger just because of Theo's sheer amazingness. Most of the time the player is not named when the deal is reported, it's because the player is not very significant. Crisp is not going to be a deciding factor in whether the Red Sox make the playoffs or not. If anything, Marte would be more of a deciding factor if/when Lowell sucks ass at 3B. Trading for Reed using Arroyo would have been a MUCH better deal.

They filled up a hole that could have been filled without trading a stud prospect at a position that has less depth than you think.

;-D good posting

I highly doubt the indians give up either aubrey or garko. Sharpiro isn't someone who just wandered in from the backwoods. He worked under john hart for several years before taking over. Didn't he deal colon who was going to leave anyway for sizemore, cliff lee, and brandon phillips??!! If crisp is the so-called gem in this deal (even better than marte) it stands to reason that the rest of the deal involving prospects lean toward the indians favor. I think this deal works for both teams - red sox this year and the indians for the next several.
tribefan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BritSox » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:58 am

Hmmm. At present, it appears that the Sox have had their asses handed to them in this deal. However, I'm reserving full judgement until I see who the Tribe prospects involved are.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers