Benson to O's for Julio and Maine - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benson to O's for Julio and Maine

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ron Santo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:40 pm

williesd wrote:I wonder if Leo Mazzoni had anything to do with this deal?
Poor Anna Benson....Maybe she'll pose for Playboy now. :-D

We can hope...she is one hot mamasita
Plus she's got a foul mouth and is apparently pretty easy...my kind of woman!

Oh yeah, good deal for the Orioles ;-D
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:42 pm

It looks like the Cuban Alay Soler has a good shot at the rotation. Maybe Bannister as well. Of course it's tough for me to judge this right now because I think it may be a precursor to another trade.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby phillibuster » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:48 pm

I'd think this move would be a pre-curser to something to come. Another SP...i'm loving the bullpen now...however they've been saying all along that Heilman was best for long-relief, now why the change...although, I do think he would make a better starter than Zam.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phillibuster » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Just read a rumor that Olney has the Mets signing Weaver to a 1 year deal.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:14 pm

Benson could be a steal for Baltimore. I also think this just about locks up the closers job for Chris Ray. Hawkins doesn't have the mental makeup to be the closer. One blown save and he would be done as a relief pitcher in Baltiore. i think they like him in the setup role. A little less pressure. IMO
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:26 pm

phillibuster wrote:Just read a rumor that Olney has the Mets signing Weaver to a 1 year deal.

The Gutless Wonder could not handle NY the first time, what makes anyone think that going to the Mets would not be just a repeat performance? If the Mets goal is to make the playoffs and win, them Jeffy Boy will be under just as much pressure as he was in Yankee Stadium. And just as hostile fans.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:41 pm

I'm not getting all this love for Benson. He's a 31 year old league average pitcher. Maine projects to be exactly as good and he's 6 years younger. Why is it a good idea, when you are as uncompetitive a team as the Orioles, to trade a young player who might improve from average for an older player who is headed downhill?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby DK » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:51 pm

Unless this is a precursor for something I'm pretty disappointed. Julio doesn't make our bullpen better unless he can turn around his ERA trend (which has consistently gotten worse). I don't know enough about Maine but Benson was a pretty darn good pitcher last year, although he blew up a few outings. I think his ERA was something around the low 3's last year until he started fading down the stretch and ended with a 4+.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby foulballstrike3 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:10 pm

Two things stand out with me about this trade. The first being that I am not thrilled that Maine was included in on this trade. He has struggled in the majors, but like has been mentioned earlier he is very young and was extremely successful in the minor leagues. Benson is most definitely an upgrade for this season, however Maine was up there with Penn as a top pitching prospect. As GWTMA said the O's aren't going to contend, and if they did they would need both Bedard and Cabrera to bust out big time. #2, The benefit of this trade is that they get rid of Julio who doesn't have the mental makeup to pitch effectively in the majors.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby foulballstrike3 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:14 pm

DK wrote:Unless this is a precursor for something I'm pretty disappointed

Yeah, I'm guessing this is exactly what it is, and I am imagining that Maine is going to Oaktown. MLBtraderumors.com was reporting that the O's would have to send a young prospect (Maine) or two to the Mets, and the Mets would turn around and go get Zito for some prospects.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers