Top Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: post

Postby theclefe » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:29 pm

oakiedragon wrote:good post, but im sure you would have better feedback and would do more service by reposting your list in the minors forum. But otherwise decent list. The only disagreement i have is wood being listed so high. I know he just had a huge season but he is not proven over time, and no one expected/projected this from him. So until he proves that last season was the real deal I dont think he deserves top 5 or maybe even top 10 status. I mean if were going by one season then where is sean gallagher on the list. He had a huge season, just fizzeled at the end and finished with a sub 3 era. and hes only 19. So to sum it all up, dont put too much faith in wood yet, over his whole career hes struck out 314 times and walked 114 times. So its all or nothing with him. Hardly deserving of top 5 status. Butler would be a better choice, better power projections and a much better overall hitter. Just my 2 cents.

Why would you knock Wood down, but keep upton who hasn't played anything outside of highschool? Not even a top 10 player? Where will you find his power at shortstop? come on.

I would bump Wood to #2, drop Upton to #7 and tell Young to hurry up and play in the Majors so we can see if you can live up to the hype.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DWright5 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:22 pm

stephen drew i think should be 3rd behind Wood and Young moving upton to 4th and hermida and liriano down one

drew went .390-10-40 in 149 AB's in High Class A last year and is a freak of nature, he is a special talent and will be stating in Ari sometime this year if not in the beginning

i wouldnt object if you put drew 2nd or even 1st, im not that impressed by delmon considering the organization hates him and he didnt do that great last year.... and Drew would ahve put up Woods numbers if he had 600 ab's like Wood did
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jenkins » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:26 pm

Wheres Verlander????
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:30 pm

DWright5 wrote:stephen drew i think should be 3rd behind Wood and Young moving upton to 4th and hermida and liriano down one

drew went .390-10-40 in 149 AB's in High Class A last year and is a freak of nature, he is a special talent and will be stating in Ari sometime this year if not in the beginning

i wouldnt object if you put drew 2nd or even 1st, im not that impressed by delmon considering the organization hates him and he didnt do that great last year.... and Drew would ahve put up Woods numbers if he had 600 ab's like Wood did

I disagree. Drew is an older player who played college ball,who is closer to reaching his potential, but does not have as high a cieling as Upton, Young, wood, or Hermedia.

He hit .218 .301 .386 in 101 at bats at double A.

He will likely be a very good player, but not as good as some of the other top prospects.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby DWright5 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:43 pm

he was hurt in his AA stint and most peopel knowledgable about prospects do not count that in determining his potential becuase he was not himself at all
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:24 am

DWright5 wrote:im not that impressed by delmon considering the organization hates him and he didnt do that great last year....

Um, I don't even know what to say about that comment.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:54 am

DWright5 wrote:he was hurt in his AA stint and most peopel knowledgable about prospects do not count that in determining his potential becuase he was not himself at all

baseball analysts wrote:However, things stalled in AA when Drew was met with some bad BABIP luck (.241) and some, finally, stiff competition...Stephen's biggest pro problems have been contact issues, which were far more prevalent in AA than the Cal League.

Obviously it should be taken into account.

and most people who know prospects would object to putting him 1st, 2nd, or third.

That said, i think he will be a good player and all star, but not as good as some of the other top prospects.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby quack quack » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:56 pm

besides verlander are there any other players u think should be on the list, some may say chuck James but i realy dont see him being any better than a 4th starter. Any other big prospects u like u think will have a brigt career?
quack quack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers