Will any of these guys breakout? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will any of these guys breakout?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby smoovethug » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:41 am

I think 30 HR would be asking too much from Fielder although he has great power I just think its rare for a rookie to break into the league and do that.

Wily Mo I can see hitting 30+ with a low average if he does get the starting job which he should. The Great American Ballpark is a good hitters park. He's a good player to keep an eye on if you need the power and aren't worried by a .250ish avg.

Shelton I don't think is a scary pick at all, I'm actually very high on him. He tore it up for a bit down the stretch last season, and played alot without Magglio Ordonez. If he hits 3rd in that lineup with a healthy Maggs I don't see how he can be a bad pick, especially with where he'll probably be taken. 30/100/.300 wouldn't shock me.

I don't really know what to think of Atkins but he should be able to hit for a nice avg playing half the time at Coors and could be able to put up 100 RBI. Helton definately won't be as bad as he was last year and assuming Barmes is back healthy he could do pretty well. Colorado is a bad team but the foursome of Atkins-Helton-Holliday-Barmes isn't too shabby.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby doc watson » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:36 am

I Like Willy Mo this year. Think Adam Dunn-Light.

.250 with 35 HRs - available late. Good source of cheep power towards the mid to late rounds in drafts this spring.
doc watson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:59 pm

Wily Mo and Prince are the choices of that list.

Pena might not be the most disciplined hitter in the world, but he can hit the ball a mile. I wouldn't be expecting .300, but I think .265 and 30-35 is very realisitic. He's always I guy I've felt would break out when he finally got that everyday chance...now we'll see.

Prince has a couple good things going for him starting this year. First, he has good minor league experience. He's played at every level without skipping, and has made each jump successfully without being rushed. Furthermore, he did get 59 MLB at-bats last year to ease the transition into this year, hitting .288 with a couple dingers. Secondly, he's a power hitter with patience at the plate and the ability to hit to all fields. In 374 AAA at-bats last year, he walked 54 times, a pretty good clip. He does have some strikeout issues, which I think will make or break his average. I think he will hit for power either way, and 30 HR is not unrealistic. I'd guess I'd put projections like this:

Pessimistic -- .265/25/80
Optimistic -- .285/32/90
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ron Santo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:22 pm

I like Shelton and Pena best off that list, though all should be solid contributors this season.
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers