Changing league into a salary cap league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Changing league into a salary cap league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Changing league into a salary cap league

Postby Sunspot » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:58 am

I was hopeing to get some input from all of you veteran fantasy baseball players. I am the commissioner of a CBS Sportsline league. This is our 5th year for this league. To this point we have always had a straight draft with no salaries or cap. For the last 2 years we started having keepers, but these also do not have any kind of dollar amount tagged to them. We currently have a total of 33 players on 10 teams. we start 2 at each position, except 5 OF and a DH, 6 SP's and 3 RP's. We also allow 15 keepers. Now with the rules as they are, a few teams have been dominant for the last few years, including mine. I feel that we need to change something in order to make the league more competative for all teams. I am considering adding a salary and cap to the league, but I am really not sure the best way to do this. I just scanned over Sportsline and it seems that there will be a way to have the sight track the salaries. The question then would be: What $ amounts do they use? What should the cap be? Does anyone have any experiance with this kind of transition or does anyone have experiance using Sportslines sallary options? Your help would be very greatly appreciated as I would like to figure this out ASAP and get the word out to the other owners. Thanks
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sunspot » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:41 pm

bump
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kellens » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:06 pm

CBS handles salaries very well. You have to enter the dollar values. For 33 player roster I would have a salary cap of $300-350. For this initial year I would find a source with projected dollar values and assign all your players these values. I would recommend using either contracts or yearly escalating salaries - so if a person gets a player for $1 eventually they have to give him up.

Here is a good thread on keeper rules:

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=164430
kellens
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Sunspot » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Thanks! So what exactly are escalating salaries? Also, doesn't CBS Sportsline have default $ values that can be used instead of typing in each players value? That sure would help.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby crapshooter » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:06 am

You wouldn't want Sportsline to have default salaries. We use a 320 salary cap but only for active players. We have 13 teams...23 players per team
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:46 am

I was in a long time keeper league that oncer converted to a cap league. We did it by deciding to use baseball weekly's value (the ones that come out about 2 weeks before the season) and letting people keeping as many of their team as they wanted using those values. You could do the same thing...just choose your publication.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sunspot » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:32 am

OK, so as commisioner, I will find $ values that I like and punch them into the league, then do these $ values stay the same throughout the season? Does $350 sound good for a 10 team league with 33 players per team?
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:26 am

I would suggest choosing $ values blind. If you choose $ values that you like then you could be accused of choosing prices that benefit your own players. A $350 cap sounds fine. Also you will need to have something like a $5 increase in player values after this year (and each year after that).

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sunspot » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:32 pm

$5 raise? What if the guy has a bad year. Shouldn't we just use the same publications $'s year to year? that way the value would be adjusted to their performance.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:36 pm

You only want to use a publications $ values once so that people can decide on keepers. The rest of the players get thrown back into the pool and are bid on by the whole league. After the transition year there is no need to use any publications $ values anymore as the prices will be determined at auction.

The $5 raise is needed so that people can't hold on to the same team forever.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers