2006 closer watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2006 closer watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pa_tater » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:43 am

NatsFan10 wrote:Dropping Mastny.....who's out there that could be a nice pickup?

Only a few days left in my championship, and i'm getting killed in pitching.

It'd help to know who is available. Two (relatively) newly appointed closers are S.Torres and (it is thought) B.HOwry
pa_tater
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:01 pm

NatsFan10 wrote:Dropping Mastny.....who's out there that could be a nice pickup?

How about Betancourt or Weathers?
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:13 pm

How sure is it that the Angels shut down KRod if the A's clinch?
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:52 pm

pa_tater wrote:

It'd help to know who is available. Two (relatively) newly appointed closers are S.Torres and (it is thought) B.HOwry

It's a fairly deep league.....Torres and Howry are both taken.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:54 pm

Magnus_CA wrote:

Both are available, but i'm a little leery of taking Betancourt after Mastny's implosion.

Has Weathers officially been dubbed the closer in Cincy, or are they still switching it around? He was nails early on in the season for me.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pa_tater » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:12 am

NatsFan10 wrote:
Magnus_CA wrote:

Both are available, but i'm a little leery of taking Betancourt after Mastny's implosion.

Has Weathers officially been dubbed the closer in Cincy, or are they still switching it around? He was nails early on in the season for me.

Well Weathers or Schoewenweis are getting the save opps based on the percentages.

Betancourt has been the most solid option in Cleveland pen all year, the trouble is they wanted to save him for the setup role. With Mastny's pitching of late, I'm sure they just want the best pitcher in there, to get the job done.

Also, try Wes Littleton of Texas. Otsuka has just shut it down for the year, and Littleton is believed Littleton is getting the save opps (and the save last night)
pa_tater
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NatsFan10 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:44 am

pa_tater wrote:
NatsFan10 wrote:
Magnus_CA wrote:

Well Weathers or Schoewenweis are getting the save opps based on the percentages.

Betancourt has been the most solid option in Cleveland pen all year, the trouble is they wanted to save him for the setup role. With Mastny's pitching of late, I'm sure they just want the best pitcher in there, to get the job done.

Also, try Wes Littleton of Texas. Otsuka has just shut it down for the year, and Littleton is believed Littleton is getting the save opps (and the save last night)

I decided to drop Mastny for Weathers, but I may end up dropping Valverde or a starter for Littleton.

Thanks for the help! ;-D
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hobbes » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:32 am

Just found out that Otsuka was done for the year after seeing that Littleton got the save last night. I really need a few saves in my finals matchup this week, so who's my best bet?

These guys are available (and the games they have left):

Torres (1 vs. HOU, 3@CIN)
Stanton (3 vs. LA)
Weathers (1@FLA, 3@PIT)
Littleton (3@SEA)

PIT and CIN have four games left instead of three. Should I just pick up Torres? He's had success but how many opps might the Pirates have the rest of the week? The Reds have an easier schedule, but is Weathers the only guy who might get chances?
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pa_tater » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Hobbes wrote:Just found out that Otsuka was done for the year after seeing that Littleton got the save last night. I really need a few saves in my finals matchup this week, so who's my best bet?

These guys are available (and the games they have left):

Torres (1 vs. HOU, 3@CIN)
Stanton (3 vs. LA)
Weathers (1@FLA, 3@PIT)
Littleton (3@SEA)

PIT and CIN have four games left instead of three. Should I just pick up Torres? He's had success but how many opps might the Pirates have the rest of the week? The Reds have an easier schedule, but is Weathers the only guy who might get chances?

If I had to choose based on the law of averages, I'd say Torres and Stanton based on what I see there.

It's been a while since Torres picked up a save, and although Gonzalez is back and supposed to be pitching in mid-relief, I can't help to think that they'll give him a save op if one should arise in the final couple of games.

I'd go:
Stanton
Torres
Littleton
Weathers

Honorable mention: Howry. You might wanna check out the Proctor on the Yanks as Rivera is likely to get some work in a mid-relief stage in games before playoffs.

Not sure if this clarifies anything, or just muddles it up even more. :-?
pa_tater
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Magnus_CA » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 pm

Hey Guys,

I need to do a SP blitz tonight.

Which 2 of these 5 Closers is LEAST likely to get a save TONIGHT?

Hoffman
KRod
Valverde
Betancourt
Weathers
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers