Anyone know if MLB will screw around with fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone know if MLB will screw around with fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Thursday » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:08 am

shortsavage wrote:I'm pretty sure that through advertisement Yahoo is still able to supply a free fantasy baseball product without suffering losses.

Yeah, thank the good folks at GMC. ;-D
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:50 am

Thursday wrote:
shortsavage wrote:I'm pretty sure that through advertisement Yahoo is still able to supply a free fantasy baseball product without suffering losses.

Yeah, thank the good folks at GMC. ;-D

Yeah, but Yahoo is still making money through it's Fantasy Baseball Plus and even statracker(which is usually what I just purchase). So I think they'll definately be able to keep the free game going.

And as far as the stats, MLB would lose basically all it's press too if newspapers would have to get a license for the box scores and standings and whatnot. It's just something I don't think they should even try to win. Cause if they do, I might have to resort to playing fantasy basketball :-P :-P :-P :-P :*) !+)
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slickterp » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:41 am

most of the big sites did pay a liscensing fee last year (espn, cbs, yahoo, etc) CBC is filing the suit b/c they refused to pay and went ahead anyway.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MrT » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:50 am

It's official - -no one can play fantasy baseball anymore. Fantasy Baseball Cafe will be shutting down momentarily. Further, anyone participating in clandestine fantasy baseball will be imprisoned as an enemy combatant. All fantasy baseball related magazines will be pulled off the newstands effective immediately. Your worst fear has come through - we now must spend time with our families and wives to fill the void. I had fun for the last 20 years but major league baseball says it is over so I guess it is over. Maybe I can get into a fantasy woman's golf league!
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 54)

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:32 am

slickterp wrote:most of the big sites did pay a liscensing fee last year (espn, cbs, yahoo, etc) CBC is filing the suit b/c they refused to pay and went ahead anyway.

actually that is not true ..
CBC was denied a license by MLBMA ...
No one really knows why they were denied a license, the only speculation was that the MLBMA didn't like their style of game.

Basically MLBMA shut down CDC by denying them a license, and CDC had no recourse but to continue playing.
Had they compied with MLBMA, this would now be the 2nd season they would have had sit on the sidelines...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby danleroi22 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:34 am

The stats should belong to the fans!
[b]Thanks Franchise for the sig!

The [url=http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2014799#2014799]CTU Agents[/url] of the Aces High Cafe Challenge League.[/b]
danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TAJK » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:20 am

Is there any way to post a petition online or someway to show MLB our dissatisfaction as a group?
TAJK
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Joe Mauer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:15 pm

TAJK wrote:Is there any way to post a petition online or someway to show MLB our dissatisfaction as a group?

Unless you can get over 1 Million signatures.....it doesn't matter. Plus, you could sign in as multiple names, boosting the numbers. MLB won't care really.

People will still pay to play. Sure, the number will go down a bit initially, but MLB doesn't really care. The game host sites (Yahoo...etc) will be paying MLB the same amount no matter how many people play.

So, don't bother. :~(

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers