Anyone know if MLB will screw around with fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone know if MLB will screw around with fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone know if MLB will screw around with fantasy?

Postby Mills13 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:28 pm

Last year I remember there was a big thing about determining if player's stats were property of the players and how there was a chance that fantasy would have to cost money for all lsites since the stats and names are technically property of MLB. I know that the MLB series for Xbox, PS2, etc has bought exclusive rights to using names and such that no other company has. It will be interesting to see if anything happens if fantasy. Keep me and the rest of the board posted if you hear about this sort of stuff.
Mills13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roadrunner » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Players stats are public knowledge. they can be found all over the internet and in local newspapers etc. Not sure how someone can own numbers if that is the case i'm claiming # 13 and anyone using it will have to pay me royalties. Sounds completely stupid and far fetched in my opinion
Besides we allready subscribe to sights like roto-world and purchase various fantasy baseball magazines, so in essence we are allready paying for #'s
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 pm

the lawsuit hasnt been settled yet:

Fantasy League Co. Wants Free Stats

By JIM SALTER, Associated Press Writer Sun Jan 15, 2:17 PM ET

ST. LOUIS - A company that runs sports fantasy leagues is asking a federal court to decide whether major leaguers' batting averages and home run counts are historical facts that can be used freely or property that can be sold.
ADVERTISEMENT

In a lawsuit that could affect the pastime of an estimated 16 million people, CBC Distribution and Marketing wants the judge to stop Major League Baseball from requiring a license to use the statistics.

The company claims baseball statistics become historical facts as soon as the game is over, so it shouldn't have to pay for the right to use them.

Working mostly over the Internet, CBC and its hundreds of competitors provide player profiles and process reams of daily data for fans who pretend to be team owners, drafting players for imaginary squads and using statistics to determine a winner at the season's end.

While some leagues are just for fun, others award large cash prizes, and operating them has become a multimillion industry.

CBC, which has run the CDM Fantasy Sports leagues since 1992, sued baseball last year after it took over the rights to the statistics and profiles from the Major League Baseball Players Association and declined to grant the company a new license.

Before the shift, CBC had been paying the players' association 9 percent of gross royalties. But in January 2005, Major League Baseball announced a $50 million agreement with the players' association giving baseball exclusive rights to license statistics.

Despite being turned down for the new license, CBC has continued to operate leagues during the legal dispute.

Major League Baseball has claimed that intellectual property law makes it illegal for fantasy league operators to "commercially exploit the identities and statistical profiles" of big league players.

Jim Gallagher, a spokesman for Major League Baseball Advanced Media, baseball's Internet arm, declined comment on the lawsuit, scheduled for a hearing this summer in U.S. District Court in St. Louis.

Ben Clark, a St. Louis attorney who specializes in intellectual property rights, said a win by Major League Baseball could "send a shudder through the entire fantasy industry," he said.

On the other hand, he said, it stands to lose the rights to any royalties for use of statistics.

"You just wonder whether it's a fight Major League Baseball wants to have," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060115/ap_ ... cs_lawsuit
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Cubbie Blues » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:39 pm

Mills: MLB will lose the case. They have no ground to stand on. Just trying to get a piece of the fantasy pie without, you know, doing fantasy on their site.

The bad news: No-go on hundreds of potential jobs keeping box scores. :,-(
Cubbie Blues
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby roadrunner » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:09 pm

ever since the strike in '94 baseball has worked hard to regain its fan base. Most of us fantasy baseball fans pay alot more attention to the game than people ever did before there was fantasy baseball. if MLB baseball wants to alienate most of us again and watch their public opinion hit rock bottom again, i say go ahead and mess with us baseball fans again and see what happens. I think fantasy baseball and its 16 million participants have held this otherwise bore of a pass time above water. So go ahead and mess with us again i know that a large percentage of those 16 million folks will be able to find something else to do with their time, I know i will.
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PinotResa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:18 pm

roadrunner wrote:ever since the strike in '94 baseball has worked hard to regain its fan base. Most of us fantasy baseball fans pay alot more attention to the game than people ever did before there was fantasy baseball..

Exactly, we spend more time watching the game, it's ads and providing it revenue. They'll be better off letting it slide.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby shortsavage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 pm

I think this lawsuite is going to have a lot more bearing on how the small fantasy baseball web sites can compete with big sites than the price to play fantasy baseball.

I'm pretty sure that through advertisement Yahoo is still able to supply a free fantasy baseball product without suffering losses.

So, if baseball charges to use their stats, fewer fantasy baseball sites will exist. But so long as Yahoo is offering a free, competitive product, none of the major fantasy providers will be in a good position to increase the prices of their products drastically.

If it weren't for baseball, these small internet companies wouldn't even be companies in the first place. I have no problem with major league baseball charging for the use of their statistics.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby PinotResa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:31 pm

shortsavage wrote:If it weren't for baseball, these small internet companies wouldn't even be companies in the first place

:-o :-?

I'm sure they would find another way to make $. If baseball wasn't providing them stats all along I'm sure they would have companies involved in another products, that is if profit were their main concern. If they didn't get involved in other fantasy sports businesses, it probably would mean they were in baseball because the loved/liked the game. Why be greedy with people who just love the game? Why charge for something that already gives you positive returns at the risk of angering fans?

What do you mean by " If it weren't for baseball" ?
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:09 pm

If MLB takes away free fantasy I will refuse to ever go to a game again
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby crapshooter » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:35 pm

I heard someone say on radio this week that the ruling won't affect anything this year because it won't happen in time. But that beginning next year you could have to pay more to play fantasy because of having to give MLB a cut.

this sucks!
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers