How special is delmon young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

How special is delmon young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How special is delmon young?

Postby giants8307 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:50 am

I've got the #1 minor league pick in a dynasty. I'll for sure pick delmon, if not just for the value. He seems to have a ton of hype. My question is: is he a no-trade type of player? I'm thinking of dealing him b/c his value seems to be so high. Is he the next arod? Thoughts?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:24 am

He is about as close as you can get to a no-trade player/prospect. Though if the right trade comes along, I'd be willing to deal anyone. If the value is right there is no reason not to, even if the guy is the next A-Rod. And with A-Rod in mind, I'd say no he isn't that good or the "next A-Rod". A-Rod in his first year went through the whole minors, then forced the M's to call him up for good the following year where he killed AAA. That's hard for anyone to live up to, even a phenom like Delmon.

Over the last 10-15 or so years there have been I'd say about half a dozen great teenage hitting phenoms. The top group is for the Griffey's and A-Rod's (possibly Justin Upton if the rumors are true) who go through the minors in a blink of the eye. The next group is the "almost can't miss" group, though there have been some to under perform. That group would have: Miggy Cabrera, Delmon Young, Adrian Beltre, & Andruw Jones. All hitters that ripped up the minors as teenagers, but just a step below the other group.

One big difference I think Delmon has over the ones I listed with him is that he does have experience since he was a kid in baseball. Also, IMO he has the best work ethic of any other 2nd tier phenoms. That in my mind makes him an almost sure thing to live up to most of the "hype". He knows what it takes and wants to be the best. So in closing, yes he is special, but not in the A-Rod category.

P.S. There was a great article written on teenage hitting phenoms last year that talks about this, unfortunately I can't find it right now. If anyone remembers about it or knows where to find it, please let me know.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby giants8307 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Hybrid, great info. Much appreciated.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby killa3312 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Nobody is the next A-Rod. A-Rod was a once in a lifetime talent that won't come around again probably for a long, long time. That said, Young is damn special. Think Albert Belle with better speed, a glove, and an arm. A lot of people think Albert Belle is a bad comparison and if Young ended up 'only' as good as him at the plate, that he would be a disappointment. For those Belle haters out there, do me a favor and go look up his stats at baseball-reference.com. The guy was a phenomenal hitter (he had 50 HRs and 50 doubles in one season) who would of ended up in the HOF if not for his 'issues.'

The player I would most compare Delmon to is Vlad Guerrero. He isn't the most patient hitter, so he doesn't draw a ton of walks. At the same time, he doesn't strike out much either, and always puts the bat on the ball. In terms of fantasy value, Delmon in his prime should be a .300-.320 hitter who gives you 40 HRs, 120 RBIs, and 15-20 steals a season. He's just a great, great hitter and all around player. He's a very underrated defender. Those of you lucky enough to have him in your fantasy leagues, enjoy him.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jenkins » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Delmon has the best chances of any minor leaguer to be the next "Pujols." He is younger than everyone else even close to his caliber. As with all minor leaguers, no telling what they will do in the majors, but he certainly has the odds in his favor. Nasty power, speed, and defense while being so young (19 I think)
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GoatLocker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:24 pm

I got the pleasure of watching him play High School ball.
As smooth and dedicated as they come.
Funny part is he is only the second best talent in the family.
His sister is a much superior player.
And that judgement is from his dad and Dmitri.

His High School coach is very adament about the fact that he is a once in a lifetime talent to have come through the program.

And, this is a very good High School Program.
Cliff
NL West Winners - San Diego Padres
GoatLocker
College Coach
College Coach

r

Postby moozzy77 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:31 am

would u trade ur 1st and 2nd rd pick in the minor league draft to get him 1st?
moozzy77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DWright5 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:53 am

i wouldnt.... but thats just me, id be the one drafting him and trading for the 1st and 2nd round picks B-)
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 am

I offered up this question before. Would you trade BJ Upton $5.00 in the second year of ahis contract. Next yeay would be still $5.00 but have to decide at that time weather to add years at $5.00 per year. Young can be held three years at $5.00 but the third year have to decide to add years.With the Red Sox seemingly ready to sign Alex Gonzalez a deal for Lugo is about out the window. That means Upton starts in the minors again. It also means I would have to protect him as one of my 11 keepers. Getting a shortstop after the draft to replace him will be tough in my AL only. Another idae is to offer the owner of Young second baseman Jorge Cantu who is a steal at $3.00. In the last year but can add a year or more at $5.00 to current contract. Thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball