What's your opinion of Devine? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Atlanta Braves

What's your opinion of Devine?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's your opinion of Devine?

Postby crapshooter » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:52 am

I know the feeling among most fans is that he's the closer of the future, but my question is how do Atlanta fans view him?
How far away is the future? I was very impressed with him last year in some games and in others he was overmatched.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Motorcat » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:06 pm

I live in Raleigh NC and graduated from where Devine went to college .... NC State.

Have seen him pitch live and in person on many occasion and he was just at another level than everyone else on the field in the ACC.

With that said I think he has been rushed into service by the Braves and believed he could of benefitted from some more developement in the minors.

Not faulting the Braves, Cox or anyone else.... it is, what it is - a thin bullpen.

He has the stuff, I just hope rushing him up does not set him back coinfidence wise.

From what I have read and heard from most Braves fans that know thier team is that he got the call a little early and got thrown to the wolves.

He threw his first pitch in the majors the same year he threw his last pitch at NC State - if thats not a rush job then there is no such thing.

Anyway .... I will be very interested in how my favorite team (Braves) developes a player from my favorite university (NC State). I feal like I have a vested interest in a weird kind of way.

Its always been interesting to see the ACC players from years past make there way into the majors ..... Nomar,Varitek,Benson and a whole slew of others I have seen come and go over the years.

College baseball starts soon here ..... Feb 3-5th - NC State hosts Delaware State!!!
David - Raleigh,NC
2006 Matchup Meltdown Champion
Motorcat
College Coach
College Coach

Sweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lpsevier » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:33 am

I'd hope/expect Devine to have a break out year this year. Makes losing Mazzone just that much worse though.
lpsevier
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby catcher-03 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:54 am

From what I've heard Devine has got some sick stuff. I just think that he needs a year in the set up role, to get a feel for a whole major league year. Maybe next year he'll come in and be the closer we want to see him be...
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby lpsevier » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:23 pm

catcher-03 wrote:From what I've heard Devine has got some sick stuff. I just think that he needs a year in the set up role, to get a feel for a whole major league year. Maybe next year he'll come in and be the closer we want to see him be...

It would be huge if he was.
lpsevier
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:32 pm

With the current situation of the Braves Bullpen Devine might have the chance to pull a Houston Street and win the closer job midseason. THis kid should be very good.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby MrSnider » Sun May 14, 2006 12:54 am

He's got some injury problems now...his bad back was affecting his mechanics. If anyone's looking for a kid to pop up out of the minors and steal a set-up job or even the closer's job this year, I think it's going to be Will Startup from hated UGA. Of course, I'd love to see Devine back up and ready to go.
MrSnider
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Atlanta Braves