Tigers agree to terms with Bonderman, Pena and Spurling - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers agree to terms with Bonderman, Pena and Spurling

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers agree to terms with Bonderman, Pena and Spurling

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:13 pm

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers today announced they have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with right-handed pitchers Jeremy Bonderman and Chris Spurling and first baseman Carlos Pena.

Bonderman finished 14-13 with a 4.57 ERA (189.0IP/96ER) and 145 strikeouts in 29 starts for the Tigers in 2005. He tied for second in the American League with four complete games, while he tied for ninth with 6.9 strikeouts per nine innings pitched. Bonderman worked six-or-more innings in 25 of his starts during the season.

Spurling appeared in 56 games for the Tigers during the 2005 season, compiling a 3-4 record and 3.44 ERA (70.2IP/27ER). He limited the opposition to a .230 batting average (58x252) after joining Detroit's bullpen from Triple A Toledo on May 10.

Pena batted .235 (61x260) with 18 home runs and 44 RBI in 79 games for the Tigers last season, including a .286 batting average (38x133), 15 home runs and 30 RBI in 38 games following his recall from Triple A Toledo on August 17. He saw action in 71 games at Triple A Toledo and hit .311 (80x257) with 12 home runs and 45 RBI for the Mud Hens.

With today's signings, the Tigers currently have 16 players on the 40-man roster under contract for the 2006 season.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... p&c_id=det
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Here's hoping that Bonderman's late season injuries are behind him. Those last starts they had him make worried me. There probably was no need to put him out there.

I wonder how long it will be until the inevitable Dmitri Young or Pena trade occurs. I'd like to not see 3 1B/DH on this team for too long into the season, unless they actually consider Dmitri to be an outfielder. I sure don't after watching him dive for routine fly balls last year. This is especially important on this team where Maggs, Guillen, and probably Polanco definitely will need their days off and getting Inge a few more days off would be nice as well.

By the way, am I the only one who just has this thought that one of these years after Pena has left the Tigers, that he will explode and be one of the better overall 1B in the league for a few years? The more I see Pena, the more I can see that happening.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:06 pm

We've been saying that about Pena for way too long. When Shelton can step in and basically double Pena's production, it doesnt give me much hope that Pena will ever break out.

I really hope Bonderman's injuries are behind him as well - is he pitching at all this winter?

I dont know how much trade value Da Meathook has at this point. I cant see him covering enough ground to play OF in a little league game, let alone at Comerica. But who knows - maybe he has a little left in his tank.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tthousand66 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:35 pm

What are they thinking giving Pena that kind of money? As it stands, he is doubtful to get any significant AB's. Potential is getting expensive.
"all i care about....is baseball"---Tyrus Raymond Cobb
tthousand66
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:48 pm

Yeah I do have to wonder about DaMeatHook's value this season. Really think they could have sat him instead of letting him hit his rediculous bonus clause in his contract. I fear that he showed what he is all about when he immediately tanked it after that. I don't see him and Leyland hitting it off to well.

Pena, well they put themselves in a bad position there. He finished too strong to just cut, but sucked enough to get sent down, blowing any chance to trade him. Now they have an overload at a position of strength for most teams. Maybe he'll fool us all and become a solid everyday player. Hope so cause we need the lefty bat.

Why did they only sign Bonderman to a one year deal? Was that his request or theirs? Curious for them not to want to lock him up for a longer period since they praise him so. He really needs to step it up this year. I just hope that Tram didn't ruin his arm by letting him pitch with a sore arm.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:14 pm

That is a lot of money, but then again, he (or Dmitri) probably won't be around too far into the season. Pena does hit RHP reasonably well and if he shows that he can do well in his role, they'll should have little trouble finding a taker in a trade. Of course, we won't get an all-star or top notch prospect in return, but we'll get SOMETHING as opposed to nothing if they didn't give him the one year contract and just let him walk.

While I'm not holding my breath about anything when it comes to Pena, maybe entering the year not being handed a starting job and having a new coaching staff will be good for him. I still think a change of scenery would do him the best, and odds are that there are more than a few GMs out there that would agree.

About Dmitri, he said he'll lose some weight before the upcoming season, although I'll believe it when I see it. You have to think he has more incentive this year than last since he'll have to perform his best for probably his last chance at a good contract, whereas last year it was all about the PAs. Unfortunately, guys that are built like Dmitri are rarely effective more than a couple of years past 30 yrs old, so he'd better be at his best if he's looking beyond this year. Also, Pena will threaten his playing time if he isn't up to par.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers