Da Vinci Code - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Da Vinci Code

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Da Vinci Code

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:34 pm

just wondering if you guys think that the movie will be as good as the book. and have you guys read any of Dan Browns other books. the only one i have read so far is this one and i wanted to know if i should bother with any of his other ones.
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:51 pm

read angels and demons. robert lanndon (the character tom hanks plays) is first introduced here.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby da1chipo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:33 am

Well considering I didn't like the book....and I won't have to put up with stupid cliffhangers at the end of all 800 chapters...yeah, I think it can be better.

Dan Brown wrote:Chapter 234

Before he realized, it was too late. His car was speeding towards the edge of the cliff, and the brakes weren't working.

Chapter 235

And he flew off the cliff.

Chapter 236

He saw that the doors were unlocked, opened them, and jumped out. It was then he realized he had no parachute.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Re: Da Vinci Code

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:49 am

AEMRICH wrote:just wondering if you guys think that the movie will be as good as the book. and have you guys read any of Dan Browns other books. the only one i have read so far is this one and i wanted to know if i should bother with any of his other ones.

his books are okay. The Da Vinci Code has a lot of hype, but Angels and Demons is much better. But as you read his books you'll realize that he's a very predictable author. I've also read Digital Fortress, it was okay, haven't touched Deception Point yet, and i'm waiting for The Solomon's Key to come out, his next book. My advice, read Clive Cussler, i love his books. ;-D IMO he puts Dan Brown to shame.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tal1286 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:46 am

da1chipo wrote:Well considering I didn't like the book....and I won't have to put up with stupid cliffhangers at the end of all 800 chapters...yeah, I think it can be better.

Dan Brown wrote:Chapter 234

Before he realized, it was too late. His car was speeding towards the edge of the cliff, and the brakes weren't working.

Chapter 235

And he flew off the cliff.

Chapter 236

He saw that the doors were unlocked, opened them, and jumped out. It was then he realized he had no parachute.

:-D :-D :-D

I actually liked DaVinci Code but that is spot on and really funny. Angels and Demons is far better but less well known for some reason. I liked his other two, deception point and Digital Fortress. I thought the ending of DP was good but that of DF was kinda contrived.

I've never read Clive Cussler but apparently he wrote Sahara and the movie was based on it and I really liked the movie. I mean it wasn't some cinematic masterpiece but it was really entertaining and I think that kind of movie definitely has its place. I've been meaning to get one of his books but I never seem to remember when I'm at borders or something.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby crapshooter » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:11 am

I haven't read the book but was actually considering buying it this week....would anyone else reccommend it...or tell me not to bother?
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:14 am

crapshooter wrote:I haven't read the book but was actually considering buying it this week....would anyone else reccommend it...or tell me not to bother?

I would recommend buying it and reading it. I read it and I enjoyed it. In fact, I devoured it in just 3 or 4 days. ;-D

I kind of thought of it as junk food for my brain. It's the type of book where the author takes your hand and leads you from one event to another and tells you everything you need to know about the characters- nothing that requires any heavy thinkin' at all.

But it's a fun, fast paced story and the puzzles are fun to try and figure out. Read it the first chapter, and if it doesn't capture your attention, then it's not the book for you.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:27 am

We already had this discussion, didn't we?

In any case, watch out, or JT Wood will kick some Dan Brown ass.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:30 am

I read a lot and Dan Brown is perhaps the worst writer that I have ever read. No offence to anybody that liked his books but I just barely managed to finish Angels and Demons and only started Da Vinci because everybody seemed to like it - but I couldn't finish it. Besides all of the cliff hangers, every character is a stereotype and he uses 3 adverbs and 4 adjectives in every sentence. :-P

The book was written like a movie so I am guessing that the movie is going to be ten times better than the book. The main character is supposed to be Indiana Jones without a whip - so if you liked Indy and you like Tom Hanks (I like both) you will probably like the movie.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:26 pm

I need to read this book...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk