First stadiums and arenas, now schools! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

First stadiums and arenas, now schools!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LiveForever » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:27 am

I dont know... i keep getting this creepy image of highschool sports team jearsy's with pictures of Bill Gates on them...

Just imagin "tonight Microsoft Academy faces off agaisnt Martin Luther King"
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:36 am

I thought there was some ethical issue about ad-targeting minors in controlled environments. Besides the health thing, isn't this something that's been an issue with soda machines?

I mean, frankly, I could give a rats pitooty. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate since I'm up working at 1:30 in the AM.

:-C
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:43 am

JTWood wrote:I thought there was some ethical issue about ad-targeting minors in controlled environments. Besides the health thing, isn't this something that's been an issue with soda machines?

I mean, frankly, I could give a rats pitooty. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate since I'm up working at 1:30 in the AM.

:-C

A lot of schools are eliminating soda machines and for good reason. Studies show that most overweight school student drink sometimes two 20 oz sodas a day. That's a lot of calories, and unless they're on the cross country team, that's probably making them fat asses.

I agree with eliminating the soda machines because basically kids, particularly middle schoolers, don't really care about their caloric intake until it's too late. I do think that the schools have an ethical responsiblity to curb such an unhealthy lifestyle if necessary and only if it's really a problem.

Of course, schools should probably concern themselves more with increasing education standards and preventing weapons from being brought to school, but hey, soda's a good first step. After all, I don't there are many schools with 9mm vending machines.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk