Referees suck in all levels of football! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Referees suck in all levels of football!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Referees suck in all levels of football!

Postby Phatferd » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:25 pm

After watching college football this year I learned to really hate referees. This year seemed to have a lot more bogus calls. I think a lot has to do with instant replay (I really hate it for college).

Now after watching the NFL playoffs, I am amazed at how horrible all of the officiating has been in all of these games.

BTW, I have no favorite NFL team. I root for the Chargers because they are the closest to me and I like LT, other than that I just root for USC players, so I am not a bitter fan.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:32 pm

I'd say the football has, by far, the best officiating of any of the 'Big 3'. Basketball officiating and baseball umpiring, I feel is far less consistant, far more 'favorable' towards certain level players, and such. I don't watch enough hockey to compare that officiating, but I'd say NFL officials get the call right about 99% of the time, which is a much better clip than what I see in the NBA, NCAA basketball (by far the worst officials on Earth), and the MLB.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby Phatferd » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'd say the football has, by far, the best officiating of any of the 'Big 3'. Basketball officiating and baseball umpiring, I feel is far less consistant, far more 'favorable' towards certain level players, and such. I don't watch enough hockey to compare that officiating, but I'd say NFL officials get the call right about 99% of the time, which is a much better clip than what I see in the NBA, NCAA basketball (by far the worst officials on Earth), and the MLB.

No way in hell they get the call 99% of the time. My biggest pet peeve in football is how they call PI. They are so inconsistent with those calls.

I actually think baseball is pretty good. Once in a while they get a SB or a play at 1st wrong. The bigges thing is balls and strikes, but to me this is what makes baseball unique. Balls and strikes are different depending on the umpire and to me this is what makes baseball a little special.

This is coming from an Angel fan. Doug Eddings is on my sh*t list.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Thursday » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:31 am

Football officiating still isn't fixed with instant replay. The big disparity is that you CAN'T CHALLENGE PENALTIES! It's one of the most disputed things in all of football, yet coaches can't throw the red flag on a penalty that changes the tide of the game. Challenging penalites would be more beneficial than challenging some fumble that was clearly not, you know?
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby JTWood » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:14 am

I'll qualify my post with this statement: I haven't watched much football this year.

I used to watch football all of the time, and ever since the IR rule went into effect, I've always held the belief that football, by far, has the best ref situation. I think their refs are good. They don't mind conversing and getting the call right. They also have IR to overturn a majority of their mistakes.

IMO, I'd take their current situation over baseball's craphole system any day of the week.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:50 am

If you also factor in level of difficulty, NFL officials are generally awesome and when they suck there's Instant Replay.

I don't think you should replay penalties - what gets me is that damn whistle blowing when the ball has already been fumbled, then your team picks it up and runs it in for a game-breaking touchdown!!!!!!!! And they say OOPS sorry but the whistle blew. AAACK!
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)

Postby danleroi22 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:40 am

There were several bad calls this weekend. :-t
[b]Thanks Franchise for the sig!

The [url=http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2014799#2014799]CTU Agents[/url] of the Aces High Cafe Challenge League.[/b]
danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LooseCannon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:34 am

There was one bad call made that could've cost Pitt the game... seriously how can you not think that Polamalu caught the ball????How?

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tal1286 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 pm

LooseCannon wrote:There was one bad call made that could've cost Pitt the game... seriously how can you not think that Polamalu caught the ball????How?

you see...uh...he was rollling around...and, uh...had his hand under the ball so it didn't touch the ground which makes it a catch...and clearly had an iron grip on it cause the ball didn't even jiggle while he was falling, hitting the ground and rolling around, which makes it a catch... but, uh, as he was getting up his one knee knocked it out of his hand, after he had clearly established control, which makes it a fumble that he recovered but, uh...

NFL.COM rulebook wrote:8. A forward pass is complete when a receiver clearly possesses the pass and touches the ground with both feet inbounds while in possession of the ball. If a receiver would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while maintaining possession of the ball, pass is complete at the out-of-bounds spot.

so, uh...somehow I'm going to decide that it's incomplete even though your body hitting the ground is equivalent to 2 feet because his other knee was still on the ground when the ball came out.

Explain that one to me.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:04 pm

It's probably just a coincidence or me trying to fit the evidence to my preconcieved notions, but it seems like it's gotten worse since replay was instituted in the NFL and college and now that the threat of it is looming in baseball. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but constantly lookin over your shoulder probably isn't the best circumstances under which to do your job.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk