Top College Players & Closest to MLB - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top College Players & Closest to MLB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top College Players & Closest to MLB

Postby Jayhawk2222 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:45 am

My NL-only league allows us to draft college players in our reserve draft. "Rookies" can then be kept on reserve from year to year. Their salary starts at $5, but each year you keep them on reserve their salary increases by $5, so you really need to only take "rookies" who are close to reaching the majors or they will be $15 or $20 by the time they reach the show, and won't be worth keeping.

With my last pick last year I took Justin Upton. He wasn't a college player I know, but they talked about him being one of the best prospects in year. He's likely to be $15 or $20 by the time he gets to the majors but who knows?

If it was an AL-league and I had drafted Alex Gordon, this strategy may have made more sense, so Gordon should be up for good next year if all goes well.

QUESTION IS: Is there a college player or two that will be drafted in the June MLB draft who has a chance to reach the majors very quickly?
Jayhawk2222
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

College players

Postby rhd » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:58 pm

Consensus seems to be that Drew Stubbs (OF) is the best position player that will be in the upcoming MLB draft. May not take him long to reach MLB. I'm targeting him in one of my drafts. Other likely first-rounders are Matt LaPorta (1B), Wes Hodges (3B), Evan Longoria (SS) and maybe Shane Robinson (OF). The top college pitchers seem to be Andrew Miller, Ian Kennedy, Daniel Bard and Max Scherzer. Some top HS guys are Cody Johnson (1B?), Chris Marrero (3B), Dellin Betances (SP) and Kyle Drabek (SP). Also, Luke Hochevar might go back into the draft. But Stubbs is the only one I plan on drafting. This year, there doesnt seem to be any hitter quite of the caliber of Upton, Gordon or even Maybin. But Stubbs might be close.

BTW, BA just posted their Pre-season College All-America team.
rhd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:11 am

Andrew Miller from UNC is the consensus #1 overall pick right now

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball