Battle of All-time College Football teams? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Battle of All-time College Football teams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should we do it?

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes : 16

Postby Phatferd » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:18 pm

tal1286 wrote:i think it would be boring...it's just kinda dumb in my opinion to sit here and debate whether the '64 cougars were better than the '74 panthers...i know those aren't real teams but you get the idea. I mean, I care about college football and all but i care more about who is getting recruited by who for next season than whether desmond howard could burn some corner for a 60s era DB.

Just my opinion though, the newer teams would destroy the older ones across the board. Players are SO much faster now that the older teams probably wouldn't stand a chance. They may have been in shape but I'm pretty sure that people didn't train with weights back then and they certainly didn't know how best to take care of their bodies and how to improve them with the research that we've done in the past several years.

USC has a nice recruiting class! Them and ND are going to battle it out for the "recruiting title".
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Florida has the #1 class right now according to rivals.com
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:35 pm

BaseballFann0008 wrote:Florida has the #1 class right now according to rivals.com

Only because they have the most commits right now. Look at the average rating...USC is averaging like 4.3 stars.

USC has only 14 commits to Florida's 26. USC always finishes late wih recruiting. They do a lot of their closing right around now.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tal1286 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:15 pm

Phatferd wrote:
BaseballFann0008 wrote:Florida has the #1 class right now according to rivals.com

Only because they have the most commits right now. Look at the average rating...USC is averaging like 4.3 stars.

USC has only 14 commits to Florida's 26. USC always finishes late wih recruiting. They do a lot of their closing right around now.

scouts.com has a good list as far as I know and ND has a great recruiting class that gets much better if they sign the OL and DT that they are considering right now. I'm a huge ND fan and I hate USC so maybe that makes me a little biased but...

USC's recruiting class is good star wise but not as good as Florida's. The rankings are based on a number of things like need and amount and things like that which are more important than pure talent. If USC is going to add more recruits to the class it is likely the average will go way down because there are very very few 4 and 5 star recruits left. Florida has the top recruiting class because they are getting exactly what they need. They have a QB and they need WR and they have a number of the top WR recruits plus other positions that fill their needs.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tal1286 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:18 pm

also...ND has the most recruits...27 to Florida and texas's 25 and surprisingly, looking now, Texas has the #1 recruiting class and FL is #2.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:30 pm

tal1286 wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

scouts.com has a good list as far as I know and ND has a great recruiting class that gets much better if they sign the OL and DT that they are considering right now. I'm a huge ND fan and I hate USC so maybe that makes me a little biased but...

USC's recruiting class is good star wise but not as good as Florida's. The rankings are based on a number of things like need and amount and things like that which are more important than pure talent. If USC is going to add more recruits to the class it is likely the average will go way down because there are very very few 4 and 5 star recruits left. Florida has the top recruiting class because they are getting exactly what they need. They have a QB and they need WR and they have a number of the top WR recruits plus other positions that fill their needs.

USC is getting what they need as well. You have to understand that USC has had the best class for the past 3 years. They have tons of Sophmores from other classes waiting to come in.

USC needs from this class some DBs and OL. They probably have the best DBs in Mays and Perez. They could use another pure CB.

OL they have two top 10s comin in this class and they are battling it out with ND for Sam Young who is an OL stud.

USC will finish with at least 20 guys and finish with better than a 4.0 star ranking.

I don't even really care about the star rankings, its all about the coaching. PC is great at getting the best out of his players.

As for Florida. They have a great class I am not denying that, but they have a lot of scholarships available to give out so they are benefiting from that.

USC has a really good shot at the following:
Stafon Johnson
CJ Gable
Stephen Schilling
Gerald McCoy
Jamere Holland
Devin Ross

They also are getting Walker Ashley who was a 5 star last year who went to a JC to get his grades in check.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tal1286 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:27 pm

true...i'm going to have a hard time giving USC credit for much of anything since they got credit for being one of the best teams of all time but weren't even the best team this season, plus I'm a ND fan, as I said...anyway, charlie weis is also one of the best, if not the best, coaches in college football and gets great production out of his players.

As for the reason FL has a great recruiting class, it doesn't really matter why, they do and that's all there is to it. HOpefully ND gets Sam Young and McCoy though. McCoy visited ND during the USC game and I can't imagine that he would pass up an opportunity to play there.

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:44 pm

College football is so two weeks ago.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 818)

Previous

Return to General Talk