Minor League draft...J. Upton or H. Kendrick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Minor League draft...J. Upton or H. Kendrick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League draft...J. Upton or H. Kendrick?

Postby jdm » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:22 pm

1st round of our minor league draft...several top players still on the board.

Should I go with Justin Upton or Howie Kendrick?

(Brandon Wood, Stephen Drew, and several others are there as well)
jdm
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 pm

I'd be happy with either Upton or Wood. I'd rank Drew a tier below, though he has the best chance of satying at short.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:03 pm

This is from today's Baseball America

Jim Callis wrote:Though he has yet to make his pro debut because he just signed for a draft-record $6.1 million, I'd put Upton on top of the loaded Arizona Top 10. He might not stick at shortstop, but I've had too many scouts tell me Upton could be the next Ken Griffey Jr. in center field, and I like him more than Stephen Drew. In fact, had he signed before we sent the Prospect Handbook to the printers, I would have ranked Upton No. 2 on my overall Top 50 Prospects list, between Delmon Young and Brandon Wood.

Mods, please forgive and remove if posting this is illegal, but credit is give where due, and relevant to jdm's question.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby PhilliesPhan24 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Justin Upton, IMO, will be the best minor league player the second Delmon Young is called up.
PhilliesPhan24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:53 pm

probably go with Upton, but Wood is not a bad choice either. Justin has yet to play a game in the minors, but i heard some scouts say that he is comparable to A-Rod when he came out of hig school.l
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hybrid » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:46 pm

Tough choice, for all purposes Kendrick has almost everything you want from a prospect. He plays a weak position in 2B, is close to the majors, is very polished (he could stand to take a few more walks though), and looks to have .300 - 20/20 upside to him. If you need a 2B in the next year or so, he might be the better choice.

However, if you can wait and want the best prospect with the most potential, I think you have to go w/ Upton. Were not exactly sure at what rate or position he will stick, but we know for all reasonable circumstances that he will be pretty damn good. In other words it would take some bizarre event to keep him from becoming one of the best IMO.

I still question Drew and how good he will be, not to mention his work ethic and family lines. He tore up A ball, but struggled quite a bit in AA. Same goes with Wood, I'm not nearly sold on him yet as everyone else seems to be. There is no mistaking he has an amazingly good year last year, but something doesn't add up for me believing he is that good all of a sudden (who knows I may be wrong). He goes from being all glove and no bat to this? His BB/K #'s are basically the same so it doesn't seemed like he changed his style at the plate ... yet he hits 30 some more HR's and 20 more doubles? Lets just say if he keeps doing it, it won't matter in the end, but for now I'm not a true believer that he is indeed that good.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:43 pm

How much time before Upton probably gets time in the majors? This has been concerning me since I got him this year through trade in my dynasty and can sign him to a max of 4 years. So Ill have him through 2010.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby hybrid » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:35 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:How much time before Upton probably gets time in the majors? This has been concerning me since I got him this year through trade in my dynasty and can sign him to a max of 4 years. So Ill have him through 2010.

I'd say in 2008 he should get some time. That gives him about 1 year in Low/High A and another in the upper minors (AA/AAA). If he is as good as everyone thinks, that should be a fairly reasonable time table for him. Delmon Young and Upton's brother did it and if he is supposedly better, he could follow in their footsteps.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball