Pitching help. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching help.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching help.

Postby Skidroc13 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:00 pm

On the waiver wire sits: K. Escobar, M. Batista, M. Clement, and W. Miller for starters. And Brandon Lyons for closers.

I can pick up only 1 of these guys.

Now I have B. Myers, K. Lohse, S. Cacoan R. Franklin, B. Webb, C. Zambrano that I could possibly drop as a starter and Mcdougal, Jimenez, Koch, and Polite as closers I could drop.

Suggestions? Stay like I am? :-o
Skidroc13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:33 pm

You need to get Wade Miller off waivers right away before someone notices him there. He is a top 20 pitcher with great stuff, great K potential and he always starts the season slowly. He has been rock solid his last 4 or 5 starts and is looking like he's turning it around. Last year, he started off worse than this year and went on to have a 12 game winning streak and tore up the league second half. He is a definite unqualified pickup and he shouldn't be on waivers in the first place.

The other three are also worth consideration. At least in the near term, I would take Escobar second. He has been on a tear lately and is getting ridiculously good run support plus he gets lots of K's. One caution with Escobar is that he is a very very streaky pitcher and will go on tears from time to time but then be absolutely atrocious for a long stretch too. I am not totally convinced that he has put it together but I'd ride him while he's hot and dump him if he has a few stinkers.

Batista has been very good lately but he gets weak run support, and he also is used kind of like Tim Wakefield, shuttling back and forth between the bullpen and rotation, which limits his usefulness on a fantasy team. Clement has the potential to be a stud, but this year has been so inconsistent that I wouldn't really recommend picking him up yet. Monitor his starts and if he puts together a run of good starts, then consider him.

I strongly recommend Miller and adding Escobar is a good idea too. Here is the order I would drop your starters in:

1. Chacon
2. Zambrano
3. Webb
4. Franklin
5. Myers
6. Lohse (would not drop him)

I would keep the closers you have because they are all permanent closers while Lyon is a fill-in that will soon lose his job to either BH Kim moving to the closer's role or to a new acquisition.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Skidroc13 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:51 pm

Wow!!

Now that's what I like to see. I was expecting a reply like I usally get. Example (add Miller...drop Chacon). But that was the single best reply I have recieved.

Not only did you give me names but reasons as well.

THANKS ;-D
Skidroc13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:20 pm

Nice response, but Miller over Chacon really needs few words.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Skidroc » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:41 pm

Well, here's an update of what I did. I traded Zambrano and Chacon for Jeff Kent, dropped Todd Walker. Then added Wade Miller and Kevin Escabor.

So I basically did this:

S. Chacon, C. Zambrano, and Todd Walker

for

W. Miller, K. Escabor, and Jeff Kent.

Whatcha think?
Skidroc

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Siege1386 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:05 am

I think you could have got a pretty good player for Todd Walker somewhere.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Skidroc13 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:02 am

Well, I thought I would have also. But the guys in my league would rather keep a Roberto Alamor rather than get a stud like Todd Walker.
Skidroc13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Jury » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:29 am

Damn that the deal of a lifetime almost, I wish I had manager like the ones in your league in my league!
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers