Stanley "Tookie" Williams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Stanley "Tookie" Williams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Here's what I posted on the football side when the Tookie talk came up. Coppermine, you might want to read it since I explain why the death penalty is no longer a deterrent.

Madison wrote:What a thread......Can't believe I just read through all 8 pages of this.

Let me first say that I respect everyone's opinions, and have a few of my own, along with a few observations that I'm going to toss out here for discussion.

Most people who know me at the Cafe's know I'm completely behind the death penalty. I live in Texas, we have the death penalty, and WE USE IT!

What disturbs me the most is that America has become so weak stomached. Why should a convicted murderer (and note I'm talking about convicted murderers, not some guy who robbed a gas station) be given workout facilities, books, time outside, be allowed to communicate with other convicted killers, etc.? Why on Earth are we supposed to respect their rights? They gave up their rights when they KILLED someone else and took away the victim's rights. Now we're supposed to respect the rights of the killer? That kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach.

It's specifically because of America's lack of stones that we've let this filth rot in jail for 24 years, before finally doing what needed to be done 24 years ago. Had Tookie been executed when the sentence came down, he wouldn't be the celebrity he is now. This would be no story, and the message would have been sent loud and clear. Doing it 24 years after the fact only shows how limp wristed this country has become. It turns convicted murderers like Tookie into celebrities. Just look at the media coverage! The protests. Sad that we've allowed convicted murderers to become houshold celebrity names.

It's been pointed out that the death penalty is not a deterrent. Well of course it's not a deterrent anymore. We've actually managed to screw up something as simple as executing a MURDERER. Boggles the mind that we would allow something as simple as this to get so screwed up, but we've managed to do it. Here's the question that should really be asked: WHY IS THE DEATH PENALTY NO LONGER A DETERRENT? I'll tell you why. The whole reason for the death penalty is to show criminals and would be murderers that if they cross the line into killing, that's it. They are done. They will cease to exist in our world. Now, are we doing what needs to be done to send that message? No. We are feeding, clothing, and housing convicted murderers for 24 years, turning them into celebrities, and then giving them a painless death. Who's supposed to be scared of that? What exactly are the murderers supposed to be scared of? Where's the punishment? The death penalty no longer has any teeth. It's no shock at all that the death penalty does not have the same effect as what it's intended to have. This country has lost it's stones and no longer has the testicular fortitude to do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done. It's sickening.

Now, since it seems no one's going to shoot down the cost analysis, I guess I'll point out the obvious. How expensive is a blindfold, a cigarette, and a bullet? Well by golly I bet that would be a whole lot cheaper than feeding, clothing, and housing a convicted murderer for 24 years. Unfortunately, this country has become so weak and so screwed up, we're worried about giving a painless death to a person who had zero regard for anyone else's rights. The convicted murderer took away at least one person's rights, and most likely didn't worry too much about if it was painless or not for the victim(s). Yet we're concerned that the convicted murderer's execution is painless? We go to great costs to insure a painless execution? Are you kidding me? Completely pathetic.

Something mentioned in this thread is: why execute a reformed murderer? My thoughts? A murderer should not be in jail long enough to reform, and at the same time, I'll mention that once someone murders someone else in cold blood, reform really is not in that person's future. Sure, it's possible, but what are we talking about? 1 in 100? 1 in 1,000? We should keep 100 murderers alive (feed, cloth, and house them?) because one convicted murderer might convince the world they have reformed? Give me a break. Still doesn't change the fact that they took someone else's life, knowingly, and intentionally.

Oh, and about giving a pardon for those who the government believes has reformed, how exactly will that help anything, or anyone? Just go out and kill someone, spend some time on the taxpayer's nickel, claim to find God, say you're sorry, and you get back out in the world as a celebrity. Eliminate what little teeth the death penalty still has? Yeah, that's a solid plan , and yes, I'm being very sarcastic with that one. It does not benefit anyone, and the murderer should not be in jail long enough for that to even be a possibility anyway.

With all the race talk, I'll touch on that too. Why is it race becomes part of the discussion when Tookie's execution is talked about on most message boards, but was not a part of the discussion on most boards when McVeigh was executed? Interesting.....

Bottom line on the whole thing from me. America needs to take off it's skirt, start doing the things that need to be done, when they need to be done, and start sending the messages intended loud and clear. At the current rate, America is spiraling downwards with no chance of recovery, and that's a very scary thought.

*Note: The death penalty is not the only thing that America has lost it's stones about, so please don't misunderstand and think I'm saying the country will implode if the death penalty doesn't get streamlined. Thank you.*
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk