Magazine(s) are out!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magazine(s) are out!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:45 pm

I just spent about an hour looking at all the fantasy baseball magazines at Borders. Expecting to be enlightened, I merely learned that I make better decisions than most of these guys and that formatting was put on the back burner this year.

C+ at best on average.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby foulballstrike3 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:57 pm

converge241 wrote:
garf112 wrote:Just got Lindy's last night. I used it to guage my opponents and as a draft day reference last year. Useful, but don't even try and figure out how they rank guys by position.

just notcied Lindys looks the be the second one out (saw it on lunch)
flipped through it and it didnt grab me (no mocks or anything?)

that Sporting News keeper list is a doozy

Nobody should ever purchase a Lindy's baseball magazine. I know the football one used to have cheerleader pics that were appealing to me as a youngster, but they're bad. Why pay $6+ for this mag when your own opinion is worth more?
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:49 am

I was at a local Barnes & Noble here in Portland, OR & they had three magazines out there.

Sporting News, Lindy's & The Fantasy Baseball Guide.

Sporting News was pretty weak, Lindy's not bad in my opinion, & the last has alot of individual profiles on guys which could be helpful.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby roadrunner » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:03 pm

those are the only 3 i've seen so far. i picked up all three. Wether the projections are accurate or not is irrelevant. They still serve a purpose at some level or another. If nothing else they can be used as a barrometer as to what some other people in your leagues may be planning, or as little as just refreshers of memory and something to actually carry around with you mobile to work or the bathroom etc.
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quietstorm » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:38 pm

I won a free year of Baseball Prospectus Premium, so I think I'll buy an extra mag this year, just to give myself something to read away from the computer. (And don't you make jokes about bathroom laptop reading. I do it. I bring my laptop to the bathroom. And my bedroom. And I even have it on during class at school -- yay uni WiFi connections.)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quietstorm » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:41 pm

roadrunner wrote:those are the only 3 i've seen so far. i picked up all three. Wether the projections are accurate or not is irrelevant. They still serve a purpose at some level or another. If nothing else they can be used as a barrometer as to what some other people in your leagues may be planning, or as little as just refreshers of memory and something to actually carry around with you mobile to work or the bathroom etc.
Yeah, I usually buy one or two "good" mags (Index, Yearbook), and one "bad" mag (usually Lindy's).

I use the "bad" mag, my personal projections, and the ESPN Mag rankings to roughly approximate draft position. Worked pretty well last year; I outscored my competition by about 15%, even if I got shafted because of a ridiculous H2H schedule.
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zepfan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:35 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:
converge241 wrote:
garf112 wrote:Just got Lindy's last night. I used it to guage my opponents and as a draft day reference last year. Useful, but don't even try and figure out how they rank guys by position.

just notcied Lindys looks the be the second one out (saw it on lunch)
flipped through it and it didnt grab me (no mocks or anything?)

that Sporting News keeper list is a doozy

Nobody should ever purchase a Lindy's baseball magazine. I know the football one used to have cheerleader pics that were appealing to me as a youngster, but they're bad. Why pay $6+ for this mag when your own opinion is worth more?

Definitely agree. I bought the magazine one year and couldn't believe some of the rankings and blurbs. Seems they'd rather try to make "edgy" humour than provide especially good insight. Thankfully, my arch rival in my keeper league relies on that rag every year. :-b I get a good chuckle every time I think of him using that mag for reliable info.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby pat1999 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 pm

/
Last edited by pat1999 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pat1999 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:17 pm

i think lindy's did a pretty good job for the most part last year...people need to remember to NOT go by everything the mag says...but to just use it as a reference tool and form opions of your own based on multiple sources...but lindys helped me with my drafting last year and i won two leagues
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quietstorm » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:55 pm

Again... always pay attention to what your competition uses, and use that to help you figure out who will be undervalued (if you can put off drafting Player X until Round 10, even though he's worth a Round 8 pick, you're making a good move, obviously).
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers