Magazine(s) are out!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magazine(s) are out!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:34 pm

It's always fun IMO to get 1 or 2 of these although recently I've found the Forecaster, Prospectus, and the internet(especially the Cafe) to be much mroe helpful
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

top 50

Postby Ballwreckers » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:31 pm

Sporting News has a top 50 ranking for keepers. I laughed at this. I figured you guys might too:
1-A-Rod
2.Pujols
3.Tejada
4.Vlad
5.Bonds-too high
6.Abreu-Before Manny ?
7.Manny
8.Cabrera
9.Santana
10.Soriano
11.Oswalt
12.Helton-Kock down a round or 2
13.Rivera-Not even close
14.Ortiz
15.Pedro
16.Texeria- Should be a first rounder
17.A.Jones
18.D.Lee
19.Sheffield
20.Delgado
21.F.Rod
22.D-Train
23.Lidge
24.M.Young-should be taken 10-12 picks earlier
25.Clemens-we don't even know if the guy is playing
26.V.Mart-knock him down a round or 2
27.Berkman
28.Chavez
29.Crawford-Needs to be late first to early 2nd round
30.Rolen-and what did he do last year to earn a top 30 spot?
31.Jeter
32.Damon
33.Peavey
34.Nathan
35.Carlos Lee
36.Ichiro-just a taf higher on the list
37.Kent-Kent is one of those guys that puts up decent stats, but reluctant to keep
38.Smoltz-RJ is old, but goes before Smoltz any day.
39.Beltran
40.Dunn
41.A.Ram
42-Zambrano
43.Wright-Needs to go up 12-15 picks
44.Carpernter
45.Bay-No way would I rank Rolen,Kent,Nathan, or V.Mart over him
46.Furcal
47.Prior
48.Rollins
49.Buehrle
50.Harden

Guys missing:Matsui,Utley, RJ,Possibly Howard and Sizemore.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

That's why....

Postby baseballrich » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:31 am

you do your own rankings and don't rely on someone to do it for you
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: That's why....

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:42 am

baseballrich wrote:you do your own rankings and don't rely on someone to do it for you

he put this up to laugh at, please dont ridicule or insult him. and i found it laughable too. smoltz and RJ have the same longevity: limited. since RJ is better, no way Smoltz is above him. just because its a keeper doesnt mean you leave off a top 10 pitcher.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 am

Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Yes, mags do help satisfy the fantasy cravings. Besides you have to read them so you know what the other guys in your league are looking at for their draft prep.

Great point. this is why I buy the magazines. I have a list of each owner in my league as well as what magazines they brought to the draft over the past 3 years in our keeper league. Every year they seem to get the same ones so it is very easy to tell who will be driving up what players.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:39 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Yes, mags do help satisfy the fantasy cravings. Besides you have to read them so you know what the other guys in your league are looking at for their draft prep.

Great point. this is why I buy the magazines. I have a list of each owner in my league as well as what magazines they brought to the draft over the past 3 years in our keeper league. Every year they seem to get the same ones so it is very easy to tell who will be driving up what players.

oh man so true..a few people at each draft only go by the mags and not only can you tell where their player bias is going but they get lost halfway through the draft on players..always flipping around for a name (and potentially draft a guy who got hurt 3 weeks ago but the 3 month old mag doesnt help them with that)
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby roadrunner » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:06 pm

I actually like the fantasy magazines. I buy at least 3 per year, and by the time my drafts roll around, i've pretty much edited each publication with notes. I like how, with the magazines it keeps everything binded together so there's not alot of papers shuffled all over the place.
If you keep up on depth charts, pitching rotations and injuries, the magazines work fine. With all the online sights and magazines available, it is easy to take a consensus from every where and make your own ranking lists.
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ballwreckers » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:58 pm

baseballrich wrote:
you do your own rankings and don't rely on someone to do it for you

he put this up to laugh at, please dont ridicule or insult him. and i found it laughable too. smoltz and RJ have the same longevity: limited. since RJ is better, no way Smoltz is above him. just because its a keeper doesnt mean you leave off a top 10 pitcher.

The other thing I thought was stupid was how high the closer were ranked in Sporting News Keeper list. Rivera is good, but ranked 13th? F-Rod 21st? Lidge 23? I think most people wouldn't rank closers that high..at least in my mind.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rotoworld » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:33 pm

Just to answer a question earlier in the thread.

At Rotoworld we have a baseball preview magazine - same length as last year 160 pages.

The Monthly Magazine is 80 pages full color every month looking at more high-level strategy of fantasy sports.

We aren't going to tell you Mark Prior got hurt(again) and you need to pick up player Y. Rather we'll do articles on indepth looks at statstical trends.

What players are historically second half players. Can you predict injuries? DO players play better in their contract years like we think they do or is it a myth?

In the monthly you’ll find…

-In-season strategies that will propel your team to fantasy glory.
-In-depth statistical analysis proving or disproving common theories.
-Off-season fantasy perspective about NFL Draft, NFL Training Camps, NFL Free Agency, Baseball Hot Stove, Arizona Fall League, NBA Draft, NBA Summer Leagues, NHL Draft and much more
-Fantasy Preview Issues in Baseball, Football, Basketball
-Strategies for Salary Cap games, Office Pools, Post-Season Fantasy Leagues
-Reports on the fantasy industry. Where is fantasy sports headed? What new products will be offered this season?
-Fantasy Game and Products Review

http://www.beckett.com/subscriptions/su ... motion=177
Rotoworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby foulballstrike3 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:47 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:It's a little hard to read the cafe when you're in the john sitting on the crapper.... :-b

I love leaving my fantasy mags in the bathroom. By the time the season starts, it looks like my grandma though. The toilet floods, and I loofa my body and the soap flies out of the shower. It gets all wrinkled, and you can't tell if it's Albert Pujols or Tommy Herr on the cover.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers