Possible 2nd half sleeper: Nevin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Possible 2nd half sleeper: Nevin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Possible 2nd half sleeper: Nevin

Postby msaint » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:07 am

Rototimes now has Nevin's possible return as early as July, a full month ahead of schedule. Not that he'll start jacking HRs right away, and there WILL be considerable rust that he'll have to work off, but if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for OF/3B, you could do a lot worse than a guy with 40 HR power. Again, remains to be seen how the shoulder will affect him, but just food for thought if you have a free DL/bench spot and can stash him away....
msaint
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scoot » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:02 pm

That is a major improvement over the Aug return date. Thanks for the update.
Scoot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby msaint » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:08 pm

No problem...that's the added value the Cafe provides to help us all kick our fellow owners' @sses! ;-D
msaint
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby msaint » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:07 pm

FYI, Another similar take from Rotoworld:

Phil Nevin, who would have been doing well to return in August, now may be able to come off the DL in July. Assistant trainer Jim Daniel said yesterday Nevin is ''way ahead of schedule'' and that team doctor Jan Fronek is ''very, very encouraged'' with the state of Nevin's surgically repaired left shoulder. Nevin will hit off a pitcher today for the first time in his rehab. With his return now possibly just a month away, try to get a jump on adding Nevin to your NL roster.
msaint
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Longshot » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Yeah there was a little article in the paper this morning saying all those things, that Nevin is way ahead of schedule and that today he is taking his first swings off a pitcher (hes been teeing off until this point). They also Nevin has really been opening up on the tee and giving it some big swings, so it seems his shoulder is fine. Like everyone else has mentioned, they said he should returh sometime in July.
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby msaint » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:03 pm

I'm trying not to get TOO excited about him, as Jeter and Griffey have both struggled with off and on pain since their shoulder injuries, but all sounds good so far, knock on wood.
msaint
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:37 pm

i am keeping my expectations low, afterall, i did have hoffman stashed away for a while after hearing he would be back after the all star break. still, i am in a fairly deep 20 team league and currently using ty wiggington as my 3b. if nevin could provide some punch down the stretch for me it would help immensely.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:11 pm

i have hank blalock and batista at 3rd but with hammer hank slowing down, should i drop batista whose been a bust and stash away nevin till he returns

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:09 pm

why are they rushing this guy back ...?? i don't get it? to try and trade him? I bet watch , July now huh?? i read it to
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Return to Baseball Leftovers