Help me with my resume, please! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Help me with my resume, please!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:44 pm

Phatferd wrote:I've learned one thing from my researching this. There is no damn answer! LOL. Whoever is reading the resume will want it to look like their own resume and everyone does their differently.

I took a class on career planning last semester and they told us to put all this crap on it and most people here and another forum say the opposite that we were taught.

Im wondering if the real world has changed without letting my professor know (wouldn't suprise me).

Would it look bad to not have any activities on my resume or could I put info about me being a member of my schools competitive speech team there or should I put that with my school info.

Someone else told me to take out my HS info, but I think thats stupid. I am not even 4 full years removed from HS and I want to highlight that I was Sports Editor of my school paper.

I think that you should take the description out beneath the accounting job. The job title is enough.

Take out "and services" from this.
Cleaned, maintained, repaired and resolved swimming pool problems and services.

The "and services" doesn't make sense. In fact it should say "Cleaned, maintained and repaired swimming pools and resolved related problems."

I think that you should leave the HS stuff in there - the sports editor and competitive speech thingy is good stuff.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:50 pm

Phatferd wrote:One question I have is if I take out my golf info (A lot of people tell me to keep it, while others say to take it out so I dunno) I won't have any activities. I did compete on my schools forensics team (competitive speeches), should I put this in activities or with my school info?

Leave the golf and add the forensics thing if it was a serious activity b/c it communicates important skill development. In my cover letter I mentioned taking communications classes (public speaking, argument & debate type stuff) even though it had no bearing on my econ/finance degrees. It was a well-received move.

As long as something has a seriously expressable personal benefit and was a notable/regular time commitment on your part, its good to add as long as it's not taking away from space that would better be used for the work experience section. Saying that you played golf doesn't just tell people that you played golf. it also says that you're not a one-dimensional douchebag will lots of wasted freetime. All else equal, my hiring philosophy favors the 3.0GPA worst-on-the-team golfer over the 3.4GPA tv-watcher.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Sweet thanks. My only problem now is fitting it on 1 page with that information.

I would take out the pool job, but my guidance counselor told me to keep that in and take out my HS info. She said that I am a Broadcast Journalism major so me working on my HS paper is a mute point.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Rugby is right that sports and activities are very important. The trouble with HS golf is that it gives the impression (maybe the wrong impression) of affluence. Nothing that you should be ashamed of but if your goal is to get a job this might get a bad reaction from some people. It's kind of like putting in Church involvement - it's a good thing but you take your chances with your audience.

Whatever you do don't mention the Cafe.....DieHardCubbie has burned some bridges for all of us. :-C
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:00 pm

To me, there is no problem with not having any activities on there. The important things are your contact info, work history, and education. Now if the job you are applying for requires a lot of public speaking, then by all means, put that on there, but don't put it there just to put it there. Resumes don't need filler. The golf stuff is a tough call...I'd say just go with your gut on it.

Also, I think you are spot on with your assessment of career planning professor. He wants to teach you how to write the best possible resume...but the people you will be giving your resume to want something that they can go over quickly to see if you are qualified, then if you are, they'll give you a call.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:02 pm

Phatferd wrote:Sweet thanks. My only problem now is fitting it on 1 page with that information.

I would take out the pool job, but my guidance counselor told me to keep that in and take out my HS info. She said that I am a Broadcast Journalism major so me working on my HS paper is a mute point.

It all seems pretty good. Of course you do want it to be only one page... interviewers will only look at the first page, and be sure to include a cover letter! I cannot stress the importance of this!

If you do have to take something off, consider its relevance to the job you're applying for. Personally, would keep working on the HS newspaper on there because it shows you were involved in HS activities... it can be removed as you get more experience. You could always just shorten a few of the things you have on there.

One last point... since you're a journalism major, I should point out that you have made the extremely common mistake of using the word "mute" in place of "moot." It's a moot point, not a soundless point :-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Sweet thanks. My only problem now is fitting it on 1 page with that information.

It all seems pretty good. Of course you do want it to be only one page... interviewers will only look at the first page, and be sure to include a cover letter! I cannot stress the importance of this!

If you do have to take something off, consider its relevance to the job you're applying for. Personally, would keep working on the HS newspaper on there because it shows you were involved in HS activities... it can be removed as you get more experience. You could always just shorten a few of the things you have on there.

One last point... since you're a journalism major, I should point out that you have made the extremely common mistake of using the word "mute" in place of "moot." It's a moot point, not a soundless point :-D

Hahaha I knew that I've made the mistake before, but its one of those mistakes I continue to make.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:06 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Hahaha I knew that I've made the mistake before, but its one of those mistakes I continue to make.

I only know because I've said mute and have been overwhelmingly corrected for it. Oh well.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:06 pm

I think your guidance couselor gave you some bad guidance. If you are trying to find work in the media, being the sports editor of your paper (even if it was only a high school paper) is infinitely better experience than cleaning pools. You can still list the boss you had at your pool job as a reference if you think he'd be a good one, but other than that I don't think the pool info needs to be on there.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

I think your guidance couselor gave you some bad guidance. If you are trying to find work in the media, being the sports editor of your paper (even if it was only a high school paper) is infinitely better experience than cleaning pools. You can still list the boss you had at your pool job as a reference if you think he'd be a good one, but other than that I don't think the pool info needs to be on there.

Thanks. I'm not looking for a media job right now. I'm just trying to find a 9-12 dollar an hour job in an office, call center or even a restaurant to make some money right now while in school.

I totally agree with you about the editor stuff. I feel it's a pretty important thing especially given my limitied work experience.

Her advice on the pool job is its more relavant to an employer to have job experience and showing that you held it for 2 years. She said you should always list all your jobs to show your experience.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk