Help me with my resume, please! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Help me with my resume, please!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help me with my resume, please!

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:24 pm

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACHTERISTICS
• Creative thinker, who uses a wide variety of strategies to improve current ideas and processes for a more proficient operation.
• Worked in a setting with significant diversity and maintained a friendly and respectful atmosphere.
• A team orientated person. Worked in group settings trying to achieve goals together in order to complete projects.
• Worked in commonplace with many different ethnicities, race and cultures along with different genders. The relationships created and established have been very cordial and lasting.
• Displayed quality customer service in a mix of different environments. Found ways to communicate with clients on multiple levels to reach a level of satisfaction from both sides.

EDUCATION
2006-Present Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona
Broadcast/Journalism
In Progress

2002-2005 Santiago Canyon College
Orange, California
Liberal Arts
Associates of Arts Degree

1998-2002 El Modena High School
Orange, California
June 2002
Sports Editor of Frontline Newspaper

WORK EXPERIENCE
2002-2005 Orange Tax & Bookkeeping
Orange, California
Accounting Assistant/Bookkeeper

2000-2002 Collected, counted, and dispersed money; did basic bookkeeping and completed banking transactions; communicated with customers, employees, and other individuals to answer questions; disseminated or explained information, took orders and address complaints; directed calls and took messages; compiled, copied, sorted, and filed records of office activities, business transactions, and other activities; completed and mailed bills, contracts, policies, invoices, or checks; operated office machines, such as photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines.

2000-2003 WD Kirk Pool Service
Tustin, California
Assistant
Cleaned, maintained, repaired and resolved swimming pool problems and services.

COMPUTER LITERACY
Office Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; Intuit QuickBooks and Lacerte; CFS Payroll and Stamps.com.
Graphics Software: Adobe Photoshop 8.0, MS Paint
Web Development Software: Microsoft FrontPage and basic HTML.
Hardware: Brothers facsimile machine, HP Scanner, Fuji Digital Camera and Linksys Wireless Router.

ACTIVITIES
El Modena High School Varsity Golf Team
1998-2001
Team Member

REFERENCES
Available upon request.

Some of the layout is out of place because it doesn't transfer from a word document perfectly.

I had a Job Description line at the very top, but took it out because someone told me to, but I think I should have it. I had a hard time making it sound right.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:52 pm

Did you guys play at beautiful Green River Golf Course there right off the 91 back in those days? Cuz my team's played El Modena in a couple matches there...

OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Yeah we did. It was a dump back then. The greens there are horrible. We played the Orange course 90% of the time.

We also played about 6 matches a year at Tustin Ranch for our home matches.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:36 pm

Phatferd wrote:Yeah we did. It was a dump back then. The greens there are horrible. We played the Orange course 90% of the time.

We also played about 6 matches a year at Tustin Ranch for our home matches.

Tustin Ranch is nice, but WAY overpriced...

We play all of our home matches at the El Toro Marine Base... just as crappy as Green River. ;-D

OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:39 pm

I used to play El Toro with my grandpa when it was the marine base. He was a naval officer so we would get awesome rates.

What high school did you go to?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Help me with my resume, please!

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:03 am

Phatferd wrote:• Worked in a setting with significant diversity and maintained a friendly and respectful atmosphere.
• Worked in commonplace with many different ethnicities, race and cultures along with different genders. The relationships created and established have been very cordial and lasting.

What is your purpose in listing these? Unless you're applying to the NAACP and you're not black, I'm not sure what purpose this serves. I have never seen anything like it on a resume and have never considered putting it on mine and have no intention to in the future. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems very strange.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Re: Help me with my resume, please!

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:04 am

RugbyD wrote:
Phatferd wrote:• Worked in a setting with significant diversity and maintained a friendly and respectful atmosphere.

What is your purpose in listing these? Unless you're applying to the NAACP and you're not black, I'm not sure what purpose this serves. I have never seen anything like it on a resume and have never considered putting it on mine and have no intention to in the future. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems very strange.

I took a class on career planning last semester and was told to put crap like that in. It was taught by a professor with a PHD and is a recruiter.

I'm with you though, I took it out. It adds no value IMO. It's like saying, "I'm not racist". These points should be a given.

Now I only have 3 points at the top, is this sufficient.

This is my first ever time finding a job by using a resume so all the help I can get I'll appreciate it.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shpuck » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14 am

Is there a certain job you are applying for? Generally you want to tailor you resume (or CV, as I just finished mine) for the job you are applying for. For example, if it's a deskjob, you'd want to emphasize typing and computer apps. If it's a job for Best Buy/Circuit City, more emphasis on hardware related issues.

I'm not sure you really need anything about a router for example, if you're applying to be the manager of a newspaper.

I went here:

http://purdue.placementmanual.com/resume/resume-15.html

I liked the format. Don't forget to make it look professional (bullets are nice). That will go a long way to show the prospective employer you are serious about the position.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:16 am

I understand what you're saying. I actually did this for a class assignment in the class I was describing so everything on here was a requirement. All I have done is updated it and tweaked a couple of things so thats why all this crap is on there.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:24 am

Phatferd wrote:I used to play El Toro with my grandpa when it was the marine base. He was a naval officer so we would get awesome rates.

What high school did you go to?

You said it. El Toro High School... and I'm currently a senior.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Next

Return to General Talk