Giles to Yankees? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giles to Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giles to Yankees?

Postby davus » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:28 am

8-o

Jun 23 Dan Graziano of The Newark Star-Ledger reports the New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Pirates are having trade talks that may send pitcher Jeff Weaver to the Pirates in exchange for either pitcher Kris Benson or outfielder Brian Giles.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shermars » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:11 am

It will have to be more the just Weaver to pull Giles or Benson away from Pitt. A straight up deal would be insane, unless you are a fan of the NYY.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:04 am

I don't understand why the Pirates would want Jeff Weaver. He has a huge contract with two years left on it, and the Pirates are overflowing with young, promising, but currently mediocre starting pitchers (Benson, Wells, Fogg, and a couple minor leaguers). And to give up their "ace" or, even worse, their only really consistent offensive producer, for a player they don't need, seems totally insane.

But as a fantasy owner Giles going to the Yankees would be great... I imagine he'd give Giambi some much-needed protection (he had two more walks yesterday) from the #4 spot in the order. Nice. :-)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pilambp » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:36 am

And who would Giles replace in the lineup? Move Matsui or Mondesi to the bench? Take over ABs at DH? That's the problem with all these Yankee rumors. The Yankees have good players, it's not like there is a hole in their lineup.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Juhlz » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:40 am

matsui to the bench. He is not a bomber like they had hoped and that's what steinbrenner wants in his line-up.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:47 am

Matsui may not be the bomber they were looking for but that kinda money isnt going to be just sitting on the bench from now on because he's not hitting as many homers and George wants. One of them would have to go i believe for Giles to be sent off. Weaver/Mondesi for Giles type.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pilambp » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:50 am

I doubt the Pirates want anything to do with Mondesi. He's in the last year of his contract... They'd probably be more interested in prospect from the Yankees... Juan Rivera and possibly Claussen.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Da Rook » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:14 am

The rumor has Weaver & Mondesi going to Pittsburgh for Giles. Mondesi is a FA at the end of the year, so Pitt will not have his salary hanging over their heads. And I am sure the free spending Yanks will pick up some of Weaver's contract in the trade. Giles will move into RF once Bernie returns.

"Mini Mac" will get pleanty of HR's in the short porch of Yankee Stadium. But I am sure this is an empty rumor, just to get the fans talking. You know the Yanks will just wind up with Todd Hollinsworth or someone of that caliber. Isn't there a middle RP we can target instead???
If you Smell...what Da Rook...is Cookin'!!!
Da Rook
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Shermars » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:21 am

I cannot see Giles going to the Yankees without getting someone young with a possible future in return. Why trade your best player for someone who would be gone after this year (Mondesi ) and a pitcher that has struggled for 2 years? That does not add up. There would have to be someone like N. Johnson tossed in this trade somewhere. Do the Yankees have any prospects at the AAA level?

The other trade floating around Pittsburgh is Benson to ATL for M. Giles.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rufus102 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:31 pm

Don't forget Bernie should be back around the all-star break, and they already got Sierra so.... seems strange they'd still be going after a lefty outfielder.
rufus102
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers