Best Cover Songs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Best Cover Songs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best Cover Songs

Postby zepfan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Yeah the Anthrax version is definitely better but the music is almost identical just not as heavy in the Trust version. It's here if you care to see it.

I checked out the Maiden covers although I hadn't heard of the bands. The Iced Earth cover was awesome and pretty much exactly what I meant about staying true to the original. They nailed it and I hate to admit it but the heavier guitar almost sounded better to me than the original. I actually wish Maiden's rhythm guitar was heavier but I guess you can't ask for everything. :-b

The Aces High cover I didn't like as much mostly because I just can't used to that style of singing. It was weird to hear Maiden sung that way. :-b

Also I've never heard the Joan Baez version but Judas Priest's cover of Diamonds and Rust is one of my favourites for sure. I'm not usually big on live albums but Unleashed in the East is great from beginning to end. ;-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 am

Two of my favorites are Aimee Mann and Micheal Penn's version of Springsteen's Reason To Believe and also Yo La Tengo's rendition of Little Honda by The Beach Boys.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:05 am

Haven't looked through the whole thread, but here are a few of my faves:

Nirvana - "Man Who Sold the World"
Marilyn Manson - "Sweet Dreams"
Gary Jules - "Mad World"
Nada Surf - "If You Leave"
Postal Service - "Against All Odds"
Johnny Cash - "Hurt"
Foo Fighters - "Have a Cigar"
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:17 am

Yeah, Man Who Sold the World is good too along with their cover of Leadbelly's Where Did You Sleep Last Night. Plus, it was very nice of them to bring the Meat Puppets to the limelight for awhile.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 am

jfg wrote:
Metroid wrote:The Gourds - Gin and Juice(Snoop Dogg)

It's got naughty words or I'd link to it, it's on Youtube. :-D

You mean Phish right? :-D

no I mean The Gourds. ;-)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stevethumb » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:22 am

jfg wrote:Two of my favorites are Aimee Mann and Micheal Penn's version of Springsteen's Reason To Believe and also Yo La Tengo's rendition of Little Honda by The Beach Boys.

springsteen's is actually a cover of the tim hardin original which has been covered by bobby darin and cher among others
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:35 am

stevethumb wrote:
jfg wrote:Two of my favorites are Aimee Mann and Micheal Penn's version of Springsteen's Reason To Believe and also Yo La Tengo's rendition of Little Honda by The Beach Boys.

springsteen's is actually a cover of the tim hardin original which has been covered by bobby darin and cher among others

You're absolutely right, I have a best of comp of Tim Hardin specifically for that song... don't know what I was thinking there. ;-D

I know Metroid, I remember in the dawning of file sharing and the glory days of Napster it was always listed as a Phish song.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:56 am

zepfan wrote:Also I've never heard the Joan Baez version but Judas Priest's cover of Diamonds and Rust is one of my favourites for sure. I'm not usually big on live albums but Unleashed in the East is great from beginning to end. ;-D

Agreed. ;-D

zepfan wrote:I checked out the Maiden covers although I hadn't heard of the bands. The Iced Earth cover was awesome and pretty much exactly what I meant about staying true to the original. They nailed it and I hate to admit it but the heavier guitar almost sounded better to me than the original. I actually wish Maiden's rhythm guitar was heavier but I guess you can't ask for everything. :-b

Yeah, Iced Earth released a tribute album called "Tribute for the Gods". It's definitely a nice change of pace and takes the best of melodic heavy metal (I don't think they're quite black/death metal) into NWOBHM, which is more speed intensive. I like Matt Barlow's voice too as he adds more of an emotional twist that Bruce Dickinson doesn't focus on.

Forgot to say that they do a great version of The Number of the Beast. ;-D

zepfan wrote:The Aces High cover I didn't like as much mostly because I just can't used to that style of singing. It was weird to hear Maiden sung that way. :-b

You mean Children of Bodom? Well, they're melodic black metal, but they have elements of Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, and the gravel-like voices you hear in death/black metal and it's a nice sinister black metal rendition of the song. The vocalist (Alexi Laiho) is an even better guitarist. ;-D

CoB also did a cover of The Ramones' Somebody Put Something in my Drink, but it's a bit silly anyway, thought nowhere near as silly as them doing Britney Spears' Oops I Did It Again. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:41 am

jfg wrote:I know Metroid, I remember in the dawning of file sharing and the glory days of Napster it was always listed as a Phish song.

Oh yeah thats right....I remember seeing it as "Phish with John Popper" too. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Re:

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i thought about starting this thread awhile ago, but didnt. anyway, i'd say some of the best are

Knockin On Heavens Door by GNR

Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins

Man Who Sold the World by Nirvana

here some more obscure ones that i really like and are worth checking out

John Lennon's Imagine by A Perfect Circle

Pink Floyds Run Like Hell by Kitte (Canadian Teen Girl Death Metal band). this one rocks hard

Sabbath's Iron Man by The Cardigans

Sabbaths Planet Caravan by Pantera

the Stones Under My Thumb and Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire by Social Distortion

Dave Grohl (cant remember who he's with) does a decent Have A Cigar

Korn has some nice covers with Ice Cubes Wicked and Floyds Another Brick in the Wall

Dynamite Hack doing NWA's Boyz In Da Hood is pretty funny

probably a few more i am forgetting, but that's plenty. i'll have to check my MP3's when i get home

the Worst have to be Sheryl Crows Sweet Child of Mine and Limp Bizkit covering The Who's Behind Blue Eyes (although their cover of Faith was pretty good). New Found Glory (or some other crappy "punk" band who sounds the same) covered Back That Thang Up and it was terrible

in addition to those i like

While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Spineshank
and 1999 (the prince song) by Bif Naked
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk