Postby Scarp » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Future stud SP with good Ks and control and under .200 BAA at AAA
Scarp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Joel Zumaya..

Postby toledobrad » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:54 pm

He'll start the year in Toledo. There is some concern that he might not be able to handle a full year's worth of starts in the Majors. He might be converted into a closer. That aside, he is power pitcher who'll strikeout a lot of hitters.
There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
toledobrad Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby booboo » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:03 pm

Zumaya's got a plus fastball with a plus hammercurve. His changeup is a work in progress, and the changeup might be what determines if he's a MLB starter or reliever in the near future.

He pitches better with RISP, which tells me he's got good makeup and is competitive and thrives under pressure. Despite his chunky size and tree trunk legs, he needs an all-out violent delivery to generate his speed, which tells me that 1.) he'll tire out after 75+ pitches 2.) he'll have arm problems. This is important because he's also a strikeout pitcher who will throw more pitches than he needs to.

That being said, with the tigers host of young arms already in the show, I think with his 2 plus pitches and his competitiveness and composure under pressure, Zumaya should be a closer. Todd Jones will probably hold down the job this year. I think Zumaya will be called up after the All-Star break and pitch in relief (swingman) for the 2nd half while getting some starts in September. He should have a chance to win the closer job in 2007.
booboo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:01 pm

booboo wrote:Zumaya's got a plus fastball with a plus hammercurve. His changeup is a work in progress, and the changeup might be what determines if he's a MLB starter or reliever in the near future.

He pitches better with RISP, which tells me he's got good makeup and is competitive and thrives under pressure. Despite his chunky size and tree trunk legs, he needs an all-out violent delivery to generate his speed, which tells me that 1.) he'll tire out after 75+ pitches 2.) he'll have arm problems. This is important because he's also a strikeout pitcher who will throw more pitches than he needs to.
That's overall pretty good, but his delivery is no longer as violent as it once was. It was improved last spring training leading to his big breakout season. There's still thoughts that he may be a future closer, but not as much after his improvements last year. I think he should be given every opportunity to stick as a starter and at this point that seems to be the plan.

I'd say he's very likely to begin the year in AAA, which would be no dissappointment since he is only 21 years old. There's going to be open competition for some spots in the Tigers pitching staff in Spring Training, so he does have a small shot of sticking in some role, but it's unlikely.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dcskater619 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:21 pm

i cant believe im saying this, but i went to high school (Bonita Vista High School) with joel zumaya..i had a few talks with him and i remember watching him pitch while i was in P.E (or gym class)..i did some research to see how he was doing lately and the info i gathered is saying he has a 98mph fastball and is going to be a big strikeout guy. Scouts have said something about how his pitching form is not good for a starter, and that if he pitched major innings every year with his form he would hurt himself. They said he looks to be more of a reliever, most likely a dominating closer. Being in the Detroit Tigers farm system, that could be good. ;-D

and btw, i wouldnt close the door on him never being a starter..its just what scouts say
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Minor League & College Baseball