Cain or Marte? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Cain or Marte?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is a better pick in the late 1st round of a dynasty league?

Andy Marte
44%
Matt Cain
56%

Total votes : 16

Cain or Marte?

Postby GameOn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:08 pm

This is my first pick in a dynasty league and Marte and Cain appear to be the best 2 prospects left.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GameOn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:12 pm

Other possible selections include Conor Jackson or Billy Butler
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:33 pm

If you want immediate help...I would pick Jackson. He'll get 400-500 AB this season.
If you can wait two years, I would take Marte.
I like Butler's potential with the bat, but he's a couple years away and he'll probably be a DH only. And I like Cain, but I would take a bat if all else was equal.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:31 pm

I would rather go w/ Marte instead of Jackson even if you need the help sooner than later. I'm not nearly the believer in Jackson that most others seem to be. And really, Jackson's only gonna be 1B and probably will have to platoon w/ Tony Clark given the current situation. I think if you're diligent and watchful, you can probably find some other serviceable 1B to be just about as productive as Jackson for the next couple years.

And I'd also rather have Marte than Butler for same reason that bigken said.

I voted for Marte over Cain, but I guess I could go either way depending on need and whatever other specifics. Yeah, all else being equal, I agree it's better to trust a bat than an arm although there seems to be some bit of concern about Marte of late while Cain was fantastic in his late season MLB stint, so that too might be a wash.
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Take Cain. He's already in the SF rotation this year and is the next best pitcher next to Felix.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Scarp » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:53 pm

Marte
Scarp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Maret. I have the first pick in my AL only minor league draft. Most of the guys like Butler, Wood and Aybar are gone. I really hoping <arte starts the season in the minors. If he stays with the Red Sox I think he will now with the signing of Snow. Youkilis can slide in at third when Lowell needs a day off. I like the Snow signing for that reason.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:00 pm

Cain (Baseball America)

Background: The Memphis area has become a hotbed for baseball talent, and two of its best prep products reached the major leagues in 2005 as Cain and the Pirates’ Paul Maholm broke through. With all due respect to Maholm, Cardinals farmhand Stuart Pomeranz (Cain’s former Houston High teammate) and the rest, Cain is clearly the best of that group. He opened 2005 as a 20-year-old in Triple-A and led the Pacific Coast League in strikeouts. He made his big league debut Aug. 29 against the Rockies and was impressive in a 2-1 loss. San Francisco won four of his last six starts as he led the majors in opponent batting average (.148) in September. He became the youngest San Francisco Giant ever to spin a complete game when he two-hit the Cubs on Sept. 9. Cain was the youngest player in the National League all season, and only former PCL foil Felix Hernandez was younger in the majors in 2005.

Strengths: Hernandez also is one of the few pitchers in Cain’s class in terms of upside. The Giants believe he has the stuff and intangibles to be a No. 1 starter. Cain has the kind of fastball that pitchers dream of, because he throws it hard with relative ease. He can throw it for strikes, and the more he uses it, the better he commands it. Cain realized that in the major leagues, pitched off his fastball and found he could dominate with it. His fastball velocity sits at 93-94 mph with good sinking life, and he can dial it up to 97. His curveball also is a plus pitch, a hard downer in the upper 70s. The Giants mandated that Cain use his changeup more often in 2005. He started to trust it more and it has become a solid-average third pitch. His delivery is fairly clean and repeatable, and he’s a student of the game who isn’t satisfied with being just good enough. After his first big league start, he was more interested to find out what he needed to do for his next outing than in reveling in his accomplishment. He even handles the bat well.

Weaknesses: The Giants’ biggest worry with Cain is throwing strikes. While he can pitch out of jams, he gets in trouble with walks and also takes himself out of games early because of higher-than-necessary pitch counts. He ranked third in the PCL in walks because he nibbled at hitters too much early in the count, and when he was ahead, he sometimes thought too much about setting them up rather than challenging them. He was more efficient down the stretch as he realized he was better when he attacked hitters relentlessly.

The Future: Jesse Foppert is the only homegrown Giants pitcher who has approached Cain’s stuff in the last decade. However, Cain’s mental toughness, dedication and preparation set him apart from Foppert, who got hurt in 2003 and was traded to the Mariners in 2005. Not only is Cain a lock to start for San Francisco in 2006, but he should front the Giants rotation for years to come. He’s the player most likely to be the face of the franchise after Barry Bonds’ retirement.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:05 pm

I'd go for Marte. I always favor hitting prospects over pitching prospects if they are of a similar class in terms of potential. I'd also go for Butler before Cain. DH or not, he's going to be a monster and he is closer than many people think.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Minor League & College Baseball