The card you thought was sweet..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

The card you thought was sweet.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Thrill » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:26 am

Ah, the Billy Ripken card. Wasn't there a whited-out version, a blacked-out version, a scribbled-out version and one where the words were plain as day? :-?

My dad has a huge collection of error cards. I can't come close to thinking of them all. I recall the '89 Fleer also had a Dale Murphy reverse negative error (I think that was '89 Fleer). '89 Score had some reverse negative stuff as well (Ray Knight and a few others, I think).
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:09 pm

The Thrill wrote:Ah, the Billy Ripken card. Wasn't there a whited-out version, a blacked-out version, a scribbled-out version and one where the words were plain as day? :-?

These were the ones I remembered:

The error which had the words visible and readable.
Then it became a black box on the handle.
Then it became a white box on the handle.
Then it became a black scribble over the handle.
Then it got airbrushed and looked like it never existed.

The Thrill wrote:My dad has a huge collection of error cards. I can't come close to thinking of them all. I recall the '89 Fleer also had a Dale Murphy reverse negative error (I think that was '89 Fleer). '89 Score had some reverse negative stuff as well (Ray Knight and a few others, I think).

1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez reverse negative rated rookie card. I still own a few of those, but unfortunately they never really went very high in value. :-P I'd have to go back through all of my boxes to find my error card stuff, but that one is one I remember very well as a Ranger fan.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Thrill » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:41 am

Madison wrote:1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez reverse negative rated rookie card. I still own a few of those, but unfortunately they never really went very high in value. :-P I'd have to go back through all of my boxes to find my error card stuff, but that one is one I remember very well as a Ranger fan.

Oh yeah, I remember that one well as well. I recall having problem remembering which one was the reverse neg and which one wasn't. I always had to look at his jersey because I couldn't remember if he batted left or right handed. :-S
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:13 pm

Good call on the Dale Murphy reversed negative. That one was worth well over $100 when I first notitced it back in 1989.

Wally Joyner's 1986 Donruss Rookies was a fave of mine. I always liked Wally World.

Tony Gwynn's top rookie from 1983 Topps was also a favorite. I remember working lawnmower jobs just so I could save enough dough to buy this one from my local dealer. It was 1989, so the card was worth about $30-$40 at the time.

Kevin Seitzer was my favorite player growing up, so his 1987 Topps Traded card was a fave. I had over 300 Seitzer rookies at one point.

This, however, used to be the grand daddy of them all for me, at least until 1989 Upper Deck was released and Griffey's card took the top spot. 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly was a gem in my collection.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jenkins » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:26 pm

The 84 Donruss Mattingly is my all time favorite. I have 450+ Mattingly cards and that is the best. I am glad to see it on the page.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Jenkins wrote:The 84 Donruss Mattingly is my all time favorite. I have 450+ Mattingly cards and that is the best. I am glad to see it on the page.

And to think there was a time the 84 Donruss Darryl Strawberry rivaled the Mattingly in value. How times have changed.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:05 pm

Alex Gonzalez autograph. Its worth maybe a buck today but it was the first real insert I ever drew.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:50 am

I used to love this card. Still do, actually.

Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jenkins » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:44 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Jenkins wrote:The 84 Donruss Mattingly is my all time favorite. I have 450+ Mattingly cards and that is the best. I am glad to see it on the page.

And to think there was a time the 84 Donruss Darryl Strawberry rivaled the Mattingly in value. How times have changed.

Do you remember the 86 Donruss Jose Canseco? That card sure lost its luster.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Thrill » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:42 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I used to love this card. Still do, actually.

Bo knows how to make a sweet card. Personally, I was more of a fan of his 1987 Donruss Rookies card. :-)
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia