"...this time it counts..." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"...this time it counts..."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will the homefield advantage change how the game is played?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:26 pm

yes
58%
no
42%

Total votes : 12

"...this time it counts..."

Postby eftda » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:26 pm

Well, you should have all seen the commercial, and its time to talk about it. I think (as a Giants fan) that home field advantage is important, but I don?t think that having the All-Stars play for it will change the ALL STAR GAME. Look at it this way:

Gary Sheffield has a shot of going to the World Series so he will play the All-Star game like it was a playoff game (must win), but a guy like Ryan Klesko wont because his team wont go to the playoffs (sorry Padre Fans).

*So what do we do... bench Klesko?

That would make the Padre fans mad

*Not allow Klesko to come to the All-Star Game?

What about the team reps, every team has to have one player in the game.

***I want to hear what you guys have to say. I was not picking on Klesko!!!
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wind Dancer » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:04 pm

;-D For sure, dude! Give the pros something to play for besides just money.....HA!

;-D
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...
Anytime you have a 50-50 pick between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong!
Wind Dancer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:06 pm

To me it looks like Selig is trying 'leave his mark' on the All-Star game (something other than looking like a complete idiot). Last year the All-Star game wasn't worth finishing. This year it should decide home field for the WS?

Contract the Twins? The Twins that made the playoffs last year and are going to do it this year? The Montreal situation is a joke. Are we supposed to belive the MLB owned Expos are going to play as hard as they can if them winning against, say the Dodgers would keep the Dodgers out of the playoffs and put the Padres in?

First they are wearing team uniforms. Then they aren't. The game means nothing, then it means home fields advantage.

Pick a stance, Bud. You might look like a fool, but at least you will be a fool with convictions. Quit being a fool who is manipulated by others.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:30 pm

This time it counts...how moronic is this? It STILL doesn't count. If you look at the standings on Wednesday after the All Star game, nothing will have changed. The game is an exhibition, always has been, always will be. Virtually every baseball person I know (I'm talking about people who make their living in baseball, either as a player, coach or executive) thinks this is a stupid idea. So do I.

Which makes it the perfect symbol for the entire Bud Selig regime. The ultimate bonehead move by the ultimate bonehead.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:01 pm

I like it. True, its a exibition game. But at least it means something more then bragging rights. The truly moronic thing was the old way of alternating leagues each year. Anythings better then that.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:56 pm

Hootie...baseball is now the only sport where the best regular season record means squat. In sports not run by Bud Selig, it earns you home field edge throughout the playoffs. Rather than trying to attach some meaning to a popularity showcase held in July, why not make the latre September games still have some meaning for teams that have already won their division? Oh, I know why... because that would make sense, something no one has ever accused Selig of having.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:57 pm

It will change, but it will be mixed. The game would be great if every team was still in contention, but that is not possible. Some players will try and others will continue with the exhibition atmosphere.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:43 pm

THEHAT Sure, home field should go to best record i agree. However, the past way of alternating each year was terrible, anythings a improvement.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Baseball Leftovers