Niemann/Townsend - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Niemann/Townsend

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Niemann/Townsend

Postby Jenkins » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:29 pm

When are these two going to come back? Gotta love all this potential hurt, when you have the ugliest starting rotation in the MLB.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:44 pm

:-? :-?

Niemann should be ready for spring training, where as Townsend is out all year with surgery.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jenkins » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:21 am

I am ready for Niemann, he is going to dominate. Dont know much about Townsend except he that he was a gigantic waste of a first round pick. Hopefully, this new GM has some clue of how to draft.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:27 pm

Jenkins wrote:I am ready for Niemann, he is going to dominate. Dont know much about Townsend except he that he was a gigantic waste of a first round pick. Hopefully, this new GM has some clue of how to draft.

I would not call Townsend a waste of a pick just yet, as he showed great potential at Rice. As far as the past GM, I thought he did a great job on most of his drafts as he reached alot of times to get the 5 tool player instead of the "best" or "easiest to sign" player. This landed us Delmon, BJ, Niemann, and many others that you would think a "cheap" team like the Drays would pass on. Of course I will admit this theory also failed some as well when we selected Brazelton instead of Tex or Wright. I really could handle it if Lamar was still around but I would probably have gone crazy if Naimoli had hung around as imo he was our biggest problem.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:28 am

Personally I'm not a big fan of Townsend at all, never was even before the injury. He profiled better as a bull pen guy then and still does, except now he can't stay healthy. In my mind Bryan Morris is our first round pick if we sign him, I'm much more high on him then Townsend. If Townsend can become a good set up guy, he will meet the expectations I have for him ... and I have doubts he will ever get here.

I still have some hope for Niemann being the dominated presence he was in college, but it's dimmed some now. I'd be happy if he turned into a pretty good #2, with the potential to have some very good years (hopefully right behind Kaz).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:59 pm

The risk is any young pitcher can get hurt. But, at least, we went college pitcher. However, you can never be too sure. But look at the increased risks of HS pitchers. For every Beckett there are two Taylors

Honestly, it isn't as if FA pitchers are knocking down the door to come here. As such, the Rays have to develop their own or trade for it, and this off-season has shown how teams value young pitching. You can't simply draft offense only. So one got hurt, that doesn't mean you stop drafting pitchers.

As for Townsend specifically, I'm not a scout. But I only read good things about him in pretty much every publication before he was drafted. While it doesn't guarantee success, it isn't as if the Rays were alone in their high opinion of him.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Return to Tampa Bay Rays