Closer watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closer watch

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:50 pm

Notes of possible interest. Even though Aquilino Lopez blew a gasket yesterday, he may have gotten closer to closing for Toronto. Politte was even worse following Lopez. Lopez had been brilliant in several prior efforts and is a far more prototypical closer than Politte. Acevedo also being on the scene is a possibility before too long.

Colorado might be getting set to try Justin Speier. Hurdle yanked Jimenez for Speier in a save situation earlier this week, and then used Jimenez with a six run lead yesterday, which he promptly allowed to be cut in half.

Hasegawa might have moved ahead of Nelson in the Seattle pecking order. Shiggy has been better all season overall and probably deserves the opportunity.

Everyone seems to have Benitez pegged for Boston, but the Mets are asking a lot. Tom Gordon is a real live possibility to end up back in Beantown instead. Even though Lyon is doing well, comments from Grady Little that Lyon would also excel in a setup role speak volumes.

Valverde continues to do well in Arizona. Mantei will be eased back into the role upon his return, so figure Valverde for about two more weeks. But Mantei will be on a very short leash. The D-Backs still feel they can win the NL West with the return of Unit and Schilling, and they are apt to go with the hot hand as they cannot afford any giveaways if they want to contend.

Hope some of this helps.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wolf Howl » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:50 pm

I picked up Shigetoshi <?> a couple of weeks back because I desperately needed help in the era and whip categories and last nights save was a nice plus. Hopefully with Nelson getting rocked the other night this will give shiggy a few more opportunities as I am like you and think he deserves it.

Rafael Soriano has looked sharp as well for Seattle since being called up from AAA.
Wolf Howl
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tjhksig » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:59 pm

Lopez actually did worse than Politte last night, just check the line. Also, Politte got the save today, so I don't see Lopez getting the job anytime soon.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Danks81 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:01 pm

If Urbina was traded tomorrow, who figures to step in as Texas' closer?
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:25 pm

Politte did get the save, but he allowed an inherited runner to score on a hard hit ball that luckily was caught. The very next at bat, Wilkerson hit a ball to the warning track about a foot away from tying the game and blowing another save. Politte did not do well today, he just got lucky if youi saw the game. He gives up way too many fly balls and too many homers to be closing. They should send him down to AAA and trade for a real closer.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Danks81 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:04 pm

Does Damaso Marte figure to take over the White Sox closer's role anytime soon?
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:41 pm

Certaininly not after today's performance where Marte came in in the 8th and let his inherited runner score and then let the winning run score. I would think Gordon would be ahead of Marte anyway because Marte is probably too valuable as a lefty setup man.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tjhksig » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:52 pm

Would Lance Carter be a better option at closer than Politte? He's available in my league, but they guy I would have to drop would be Politte.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:16 pm

Update...Jimenez came in and did a good job today. Beyond that, I probably should have included Fuentes as the more likely replacement if Hurdle ever decides to make a change....Politte was indeed fortunate today. Still think Lopez has a chance to take this job. His bad effort last night ended a great run of 13 appearances: 19 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 6 BB, 16 K. Not too shabby!...As to who takes over in Texas for Urbina (if and when he goes), it would be Cordero. But Zimmerman is progressing in his rehab and could be about a month or so away. He closed there in 2001 and was solid, and he's a better pitcher than Cordero...As for Marte, forget about him as a closer. It's Koch's job. Marte did fine when he got a shot earlier this year as well as last season, but it's evident they don't want him closing.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Aggie_Eric98 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:33 pm

If Urbina was traded tomorrow, who figures to step in as Texas' closer?

my guess would be Francisco "CoCo" Cordero
Aggie_Eric98
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers