A little tip.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A little tip....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:11 pm

I don't know of any auction mocks out yet but we are getting ready to start one here at the cafe on Sunday.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:53 am

I have done pretty much this same thing for a few years as well. Doing them multiple times also gets you in a 'adjust on the fly' state of mind which is the main thing I like about it. There is always something that happens on draft day(or auction day) you weren't expecting to happen. This also forces you to consider plan b, c, d and so on.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:22 am

I am doing one right now. I seem to struggle around rounds 6-12. I am at round 16 now and would love to hear some advice to see if I am in line with the experts. I put 1-12 in hat to select my draft position.

1.11 OF Carlos Beltran
2.14 UTIL Travis Halfner
3.35 OF Matt Holliday
4.38 SS Rafeal Furcal
5.59 3B Gerritt Atkins
6.62 OF Gary Sheffield
7.81 SP CC Sabathia
8.86 RP Trevor Hoffman
9.107 2B Jeff Kent
10.11 SP Jermey Bonderman
11.131 1B Adam A. LaRoche
12.134 OF Raul Ibanez
13.155 RP Brian Fuentes
14.158 SP Chris Capuano
15.179 SP Erik Bedard
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby United_I_Stand » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:10 pm

i think this is a great idea, just tried it with the mock draft going on, on this forum.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... .php?f=181

works great, already give me an idea of how the drafts will go.

Any chance of some links, or tips, as to where to get some extra mocks from?
United_I_Stand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BritSox » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Would I be right in thinking that when you come to a player you've already picked, you have to ignore him and not count him towards the number of picks between your goes?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby United_I_Stand » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:27 pm

BritSox wrote:Would I be right in thinking that when you come to a player you've already picked, you have to ignore him and not count him towards the number of picks between your goes?

well it's just a practice so theres no right way of doing it, but yeah thats what i did, and it worked fine.
United_I_Stand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BritSox » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:32 pm

United_I_Stand wrote:
BritSox wrote:Would I be right in thinking that when you come to a player you've already picked, you have to ignore him and not count him towards the number of picks between your goes?

well it's just a practice so theres no right way of doing it, but yeah thats what i did, and it worked fine.

Well, there is. If you dont' do that it seems to me your picks would be 'higher' than they actually are because you'd be double counting the guys you yourself took.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby United_I_Stand » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:36 pm

BritSox wrote:
United_I_Stand wrote:

Well, there is. If you dont' do that it seems to me your picks would be 'higher' than they actually are because you'd be double counting the guys you yourself took.

The way i did it, is i took the place of someone else. When their pick came up, i took my choice AND theirs out of the pool (if i left that player in, obviously no one else would choose them, making the draft more false).

Usually my choice would be picked before the draft got back to me, giving no net change, if not it basically reduced the pool by one extra player then would otherwise have been, which at least didn't give an advantage.
United_I_Stand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:11 pm

United_I_Stand wrote:
BritSox wrote:
United_I_Stand wrote:

The way i did it, is i took the place of someone else. When their pick came up, i took my choice AND theirs out of the pool (if i left that player in, obviously no one else would choose them, making the draft more false).

Usually my choice would be picked before the draft got back to me, giving no net change, if not it basically reduced the pool by one extra player then would otherwise have been, which at least didn't give an advantage.

Yeah this is pretty much it.

You are taking the spot of someone in the draft. So when that person is due to pick you make your pick and mark off the original pick in that spot as well. Once you get to the pick you already made later in the draft you just skip over it since you've already made that pick. Pretty simple really.....

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: A little tip....

Postby J35J » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Just wanted to bump this as mocks are starting to form and we have alot of fresh meat around these parts now.

I'll probably do this with the mock that is going on right now in our draft rooms.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers