Wins vs. Quality Starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wins vs. Quality Starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mamorris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Yeah, I agree QS should be used instead of Ws. QS's isn't a perfect stat, but nobody pretends it is. Without question though, it's better than wins and losses, but baseballers are such a conservative lot you aren't going to budge them any time soon.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:42 pm

The difference is though that we, as Fantasy players, don't have Scott Boras/ Theo Epstein/ etc. pulling out the numbers when they are haggling to use for our analysis. All we have is what's on the net so QS WOULD, in fact, be a better stat to use, if you are drafting for SP arms.

OTOH, it does add an amusing element to the draft if the element of real world lineups, divisional strengths, park factors and all of that are tossed into the mix. I guess both are fun to use. I kind of am inclined to use as many stats as I can for FBL purposes. Depending, of course, on how the 5,000 emails amongst the league will go!! hee hee... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:44 pm

Threads that scroll horizontally are a pain. :,-(

In the words of Brad Hamilton, "Learn it, know it, Live it."

;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bleach168 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:13 pm

What kills me is when a setup guy or closer comes in and blows the save but vultures the win.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED FOR PITCHING BADLY!
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:17 pm

bleach168 wrote:What kills me is when a setup guy or closer comes in and blows the save but vultures the win.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED FOR PITCHING BADLY!

Closers get rewarded all the time. Guys can save 30+ easily with 5 eras. That's why the save stat might be the worst stat in bb. You can get a save with a 18.00 era (2 earned runs in 1 inning). QS is at 4.50 max, and that doesn't happen much. It's far better then the TERRIBLE save stat that now is used.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bleach168 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:25 am

Agree. The save stat is pretty bad too. But at least you can't give up 3+ runs and still get a save. However, you can give up 3 or way more runs and still notch a win. I say Wins are the worse stat with saves coming in second.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Tavish » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:31 am

bleach168 wrote:Agree. The save stat is pretty bad too. But at least you can't give up 3+ runs and still get a save. However, you can give up 3 or way more runs and still notch a win. I say Wins are the worse stat with saves coming in second.

Sure you can. All saves worry about is that the conditions are right when you enter the game, that you never give up the lead, and you finish the game. If I enter in the 8th with a one run lead, then my team scores 10 runs in the top of the 9th, I can give up 10 runs and still get a save.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:14 am

since we are discussing overrated stats ...

we need to discuss win shares
has anybody figured out the calculation for me yet? :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Ender » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:50 pm

I prefer wins to QS's, without wins a SP's team becomes almost meaningless when it comes to judging a player and that is not a good thing in my opinion. Hitters have R's and RBI are which are both heavily team dependent as well, pitchers need a team based stat. You need to not only know how good a player is but be able to put that into context based on his team, schedule etc and wins is a better stat than QS for that. QS is a goofy stat all around, any stat that treats 9 IP with 0 ER the same as 6 IP with 3 ER can't be all that valuable, especially one that says 6 IP with 3 ER is better than 9 IP with 4 ER. Wins is flawed but so is QS when it comes to actually judging a pitcher.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:46 pm

Ender wrote: QS is a goofy stat all around, any stat that treats 9 IP with 0 ER the same as 6 IP with 3 ER can't be all that valuable, especially one that says 6 IP with 3 ER is better than 9 IP with 4 ER.

I don't think QS is really all that goofy. It entails only 2 things. Innings (6 at least), and earned runs (3 or less). Now any pitcher that provides a QS, has in essence, given his team a chance to WIN. And that's what a mgr wants for a sp. As far as the Wins stat, how about the sp who gives up 6 runs in 5, and wins 7-6, to the sp who wins 3-2 in 9?

It's no surprise that Carpenter, Clemens, Pettitte were the top 3 in QS last year. Colon i believe ranked 23rd. What this tells me about Colon, was he had quite a few blow up games (4 runs or more), but run support saved his hide.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers