Rafael Soriano in the starting roatation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rafael Soriano in the starting roatation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rafael Soriano in the starting roatation?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:28 am

How soon before Soriano goes into the starting roation? And who would he replace? Franklin maybe?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby tjhksig » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:33 am

Soriano won't be starting this year, unless a starter goes down for awhile, and then he might not even get a shot. The M's entire staff has been great, w/ Garcia probably being the worst pitcher out of the 5, which says a lot. Franklin has been great this year, there's now way he loses his job. But Soriano is a great prospect.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:37 am

Some interesting news from Rototimes.com

After Rafael Soriano (P) Sea struck out the side in the ninth inning of Thursday's game, Mariners manager Bob Melvin hinted he would use Soriano in a closing role if the situation called for it, according to the Seattle Times. "Using him in the final inning there was really only to give him work," Melvin said. "But if the others were not available, I'd use Soriano to save a game." Melvin added that he is considering Soriano as a fourth member of a group, which includes Jeff Nelson, Arthur Rhodes and Shigetoshi Hasegawa, he plans on using to hold leads late in the ninth with Kazuhiro Sasaki on the DL.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:35 am

Forget about Rafael Soriano joining the Seattle rotation this year, barring injury. These are their starters:

Moyer 10-4, 2.93
Meche 9-3, 3.13
Franklin 6-4, 3.29
Pineiro 6-5, 3.86
Garcia 8-6, 4.30

Soriano won't take the job of any of those guys.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby JJ Lagrange » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:38 am

those are some sick numbers posted by the seattle staff. too bad for soraino who has a ton of potential. as a soriano owner, id like him to work his way into the future closer role. that would be great.
JJ Lagrange

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pilambp » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:43 am

It seems that Soriano mainly has two pitches, a fastball and a wicked slider. He's been developing a changeup but it has yet to be effective at the major league level. This seems to indicate that he's primed for a spot in the bullpen for now.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:33 pm

Long relief for Soriano. Kid has stud pitcher written all over him, and is a great grab in keeper leagues. Won't dent the rotation till next year, unless someone gets hurt. I doubt he closes at all, as he's a a fourth option there.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LCBOY » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:00 pm

pilambp wrote:It seems that Soriano mainly has two pitches, a fastball and a wicked slider. He's been developing a changeup but it has yet to be effective at the major league level. This seems to indicate that he's primed for a spot in the bullpen for now.

He just got called up frm the monors. How can one say his changeup hasn't been effective if he hasn't had a chance to use it yet in the majors?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:06 pm

tjhksig wrote:Soriano won't be starting this year, unless a starter goes down for awhile, and then he might not even get a shot. The M's entire staff has been great, w/ Garcia probably being the worst pitcher out of the 5, which says a lot. Franklin has been great this year, there's now way he loses his job. But Soriano is a great prospect.

Franklin's success is a mirage. Yes, he is 6-4 HOWEVER he has only 44 Ks in 93 IP. That is only 4.2 Ks per 9 innings. That is way too low. Sabermetrics has shown that when a strikeout rate is this low the pitcher is headed for trouble. Also his K/BB ratio is only 44/25. That is mediocre. His only adavantage is that he pitches for Seattle. Don't be suprised if he slumps in the second half...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pilambp » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:20 pm

LCBOY wrote:
pilambp wrote:It seems that Soriano mainly has two pitches, a fastball and a wicked slider. He's been developing a changeup but it has yet to be effective at the major league level. This seems to indicate that he's primed for a spot in the bullpen for now.

He just got called up frm the monors. How can one say his changeup hasn't been effective if he hasn't had a chance to use it yet in the majors?

Um... he played in 10 games last year, and started 8.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers