morgan ensberg versus aramis ramirez... winner take all! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

morgan ensberg versus aramis ramirez... winner take all!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

morgan ensberg versus aramis ramirez... winner take all!

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:27 am

the 3b slot in all of my fantasy leagues is kind of a flux position... when i saw that a-ram hit .560ish over 2-3 weeks a few weeks ago, i nabbed ihm in all 3 leagues. then i saw what morgan ensberg was up to, and promptly replaced a-ram in 2 of those 3 leages.

well a-ram is still hitting, and power is coming... he's gone from like, 2 to 7 home runs over the last couple of weeks... and he's getting rbi ops.

so for the long term rest of hte season, would you rather sit on a-ram or morgna ensberg? was a-ram injured last season? cuz he was dman fine in '01... and if i get the guy who was like .300/34/110 for the rest of the season, well ensberg looks nice, but a-ram has done it before over a full season... so that makes him more attractive.

but i havent had a chance to watch ensberg bat live or anything... you guys prolly have. so what do you think about these two, and who would you rather ride for the long term? thx
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:36 am

First thing I do is compare numbers..

Ensberg .323 AVG, 33 R, 13 HR, 36 RBIs, 3 SB
Ramirez .293 AVG, 32 R, 6 HR, 42 RBIs, 1 SB

Ensberg has the advantage here. He only loses in RBIs and only by 6, which isn't bad considering Ramirez has played in 69 games, while Ensberg in 51 (According to the #'s I am using).

Next I would like to watch both of them ideally, but unfortunately like you, I have not seen Ensberg. I have seen Ramirez, but I think you have too.

Next I think about trends. I like that Ramirez has some history in success, but I don't like his history in injuries. However, I would go with Ramirez long term over the rest of the season, because I see him heating up, or at least staying at his current pace and not returning to, but getting closer to his '01 status.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:12 am

well, when you look over the last month, it's way closer.

a-ram -- ~.365, 5 HR, 26 RBI, 1 steal

ensberg - .338, 8 HR, 22 RBI, 2 steals

enh enh enh enh. i am perplexed. a-ram has been hotter this week =D
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:18 am

haha. I think it is a win win situation.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:28 am

I would prefer Ramirez. His stat line looks worse than Ensberg's because he was in a massive slump for the first six weeks of the season, and his average was down to .213 around mid-May. The advantage with Ramirez is that you know he will be playing every day in the Pirates lineup, batting cleanup behind Brian Giles, a prime RBI position. Jimy Williams is still flip flopping on whether Ensberg or Blum has the full time 3B job, so Ensberg does not necessarily get the start every day. I hate having platoon players on a fantasy squad, so I would take the player that plays everyday over the platoon player unless the platoon guy has radically better numbers, which Ensberg doesn't.

The other thing to remember is this recent resurgence in Ramirez's power could well be for real given that he did hit 32 homers and 100 RBIs two years ago.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wind Dancer » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:12 am

;-D I think that youi should go with the every day player....till Jimmy Williams makes up his mind..... ;-D
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...
Anytime you have a 50-50 pick between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong!
Wind Dancer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:30 am

Dude don't look at games, go for at-bats or plate appearances if you have to look at something like that. But either way it all gets confusing since your league doesn't take into account walks. Bottom line: Unless you're looking into injury-related aspects, games played is misleading in 5x5.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers