the dontrelle willis express: news and updates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the dontrelle willis express: news and updates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

the dontrelle willis express: news and updates

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:23 am

hello from the fine fine people operating the dontrelle willis express train. this is your captain speaking. we've wanted to inform everyone that due to the increased demand for seats on this bandwagon de force, we have increased prices to accomodate more people in the future, when the train looks to expand its seating capacity for the masses.

a rain shortened game, sure... but 5 more shutout innings. it seems that the kid is gaining confidence and mixing that in with his skills... the result being some fine fine pitching. sure, he's probably going to hit sme sort of a wall sometime... familarity or injury (he kind of steps over himself while delivering, a la kerry wood in 98, which will stress that elbow)... but for the time being, i think this guy has made himself a fixture of all three of my starting teams... i've got dontrelle/prior, dontrelle/mulder/prior, and mulder/dontrelle as my dynamic duos in all 3 leagues... not to mention sides of vazquez in leagues 1 and 3, and randy wolf in the 2nd... fopefully, this guy can right the ship of the jose mesas, cliff polittes, and other people of the world.

but nevertheless, barirng injury or complete meltdown, this kid just might have a shot at 15 wins this season on a decent, yet sub-.500 team... i can dig it.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tjhksig » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:37 am

I'm just wondering, since I didn't play fantasy baseball last year, nor did I follow it much....were people as high Prior as people are about DW now? I mean, Prior didn't have stats this good last year. Could this be two saviors of the hill in consecutive years? With each start, it gets harder to deny his magical powers....
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:39 am

Prior had a bigger cloud around him in my opinion, but it wasn't until later in the season if I remember correctly.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:20 am

prior came up with thunder, but took some licks... he struck out more last season.. something like a 12-ish K/9 ratio... his era was like 3.43 or something, solid whip. i played one league extensively last season, and suffice to say i kept my #1 waiver slot and nabbed him. between schilling and prior, i owned the Ks in that leauge, until the commish killed the inning limit and let his GF dump her pitching staff on a daily basis so she could basically overtake me in wins and Ks to push her over the top with a week or two left in the season.

anyways, i drafted prior in the 3rd round of 2 out of my three drafts. i would have had him i nthat third draft, but my gf's little brother wanted to play in a league with me... we talked about my draft strategy, and he took prior one pick ahead of me... in the third round.

prior came up ashyped as anyone.. .he stated off great, faded, and ended the year with some dumb leg injury.. .nothing major.

this season, well, he's taken a few licks.. but he looks to have learned and improved. his K rate is down, but he's already amassed his win total of last season.

i think dontrelle is better right out of the gate than prior... his K rate has gone down lately, but he seems to be capable of ending his first season with an ERA in the twos... over the long haul, i still think prior is the best pitcher in the game... not the best thrower with the best stuff, but he's rock solid and will be inury free... as for dontrlle? who knows. i love his stuff, he pitches great.. but im afraid he'll get injured with all the moement in his funky delivery, while prior is rock solid with little movement.

either way, sky's the limit for both of them... it'll be fun t owatch them grow and develop.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby rufus102 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:47 pm

I jumped the DW express 3 weeks ago. A lovely ride so far, thanks Captain!

I remember last year (my first ever of Fantasy Baseball), there was this sudden spurt of talk/interest in Prior around mid-seaon, and he was picked up very quickly in my league (before his first start, IIRC and I kinda felt like I'd missed the boat on him.
rufus102
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

RE:

Postby guest » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:25 pm

I just unloaded Willis for Schilling.!!!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Aggie_Eric98 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:46 pm

I just unloaded Willis for Schilling.!!!

Can I ask why? DW express for 4 weeks now. Also went from 6th to 2nd in that same time period. Coincidence? I think not!!!
Aggie_Eric98
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:59 pm

Yeah, I've got to question that move too! Willis is showing no signs of slowing down!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:16 pm

tjhksig wrote:I'm just wondering, since I didn't play fantasy baseball last year, nor did I follow it much....were people as high Prior as people are about DW now? I mean, Prior didn't have stats this good last year. Could this be two saviors of the hill in consecutive years? With each start, it gets harder to deny his magical powers....

Actually it's 3 for 3 now

Pujols in 2001
Prior in 2002
Willis in 2003
It seems like there is somebody every year though. Ahh sometimes they hit a wall. I mean are we that short lived as to remember Rick Ankiel. was it 2000 or 2001? Dontrelle is Lights out right now, but he will need the knife. Hopefully not tooooooo soon. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:17 pm

Well I'm all for Willis-mania...

But dudes... Willis for Schilling???

What the hell? Willis is a rookie, doesn't that seem a little out of hand?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers