Jeff Reardon Arrested for Armed Robbery - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Reardon Arrested for Armed Robbery

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Reardon Arrested for Armed Robbery

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:32 am

He was never making millions, but you would think the money would have lasted a little longer...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10613362/from/RS.3/
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:11 am

Police found him at a nearby restaurant,

Seems he's not too bright either. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff Reardon Arrested for Armed Robbery

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:25 am

BeefSandwiches wrote:He was never making millions, but you would think the money would have lasted a little longer...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10613362/from/RS.3/

Sure he was. His high was 2.6 mil. His career earnings were 11.5 mil. I hate rich people stealing. His last team was the NYY. Another ex NYY to see jail or prison. I wonder if this counts as a blown save( i mean robbery)?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby looptid » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:52 am

No! Not the terminator! :,-(

But, yeah, no pitty for the guy. $2 million in a checking account would earn $80,000 a year.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:18 am

:-t :-t What a moron
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Agreed

Postby soxfan364 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:34 pm

Not too bright.. but still kind of surprising, Reardon seemed to be a decnet guy.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:52 pm

Tool of the day.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:32 pm

Seems like the guy was having a tough time.

This article comes from ESPN.com

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. -- Jeff Reardon, one of the top relief pitchers in history, blamed medication for depression after his arrest for a jewelry store robbery.

Jeff Reardon
AP
Jeff Reardon in a photo released by the Palm Beach, Fla. Sheriff's Department on Tuesday.

Police said Tuesday that the 50-year-old Reardon, retired since 1994 and sixth in career saves, walked into Hamilton Jewelers at the Gardens Mall on Monday and handed an employee a note saying he had a gun and the store was being robbed.

Reardon, who starred with the Montreal Expos, Minnesota Twins and Boston Red Sox, fled the store with $170 in cash, according to a report in the Palm Beach Post.

Police found him at a nearby restaurant, recovered the stolen money and charged him with armed robbery.

Lt. David O'Neill said Reardon did not have a gun and offered no resistance when he was handcuffed.

"He said it was the medication that made him do it and that he was sorry,'' O'Neill said.

According to the arrest report cited in the Palm Beach Post, Reardon told police: "I am taking medication and am sorry for what happened ... I completely lost my mind and tried to rob (a) jewelry store. I flipped on my medications and didn't realize what I was doing."

O'Neill said Reardon has lived in the city for more than 20 years and has never caused any problems.

Reardon's attorney, Mitchell Beers, said that Reardon had taken antidepressants since his son's death in early 2004. In addition, he had taken additional medication after surgery last week.

"He asked me to apologize to his fans and friends,'' Beers said. "This bizarre incident is completely uncharacteristic of Jeff Reardon.''

Reardon made a brief appearance in court Tuesday and was to be released on $5,000 bail, Beers said. A judge ordered Reardon to undergo a mental health evaluation, according to the Post.

Reardon, who made more than $11.5 million in his career, according to baseball-reference.com, was not having any known financial problems, O'Neill said.

He had a save in the Twins' 1987 World Series victory over St. Louis. But five years later, Reardon gave up a decisive two-run homer to Toronto's Ed Sprague in the ninth inning, allowing the Blue Jays to tie Atlanta at one game apiece. Toronto eventually won the 1992 World Series in six games.

The four-time All-Star was 73-77 with 367 saves and a 3.16 ERA in 16 seasons with the New York Mets, Montreal, Minnesota, Boston, the Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds and New York Yankees.

Information from the Associated Press is included in this story

I'm not defending the guy because stealing is always wrong but it's not like he has a Darryl Strawberry or Doc Gooden type history. This guy has slipped up once. Hopefully after making this horrible mistake he'll get some help.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:41 am

[quote]"He said it was the medication that made him do it and that he was sorry,'' O'Neill said.

According to the arrest report cited in the Palm Beach Post, Reardon told police: "I am taking medication and am sorry for what happened ... I completely lost my mind and tried to rob (a) jewelry store. I flipped on my medications and didn't realize what I was doing."
[quote]

Sell that stinky load of garbage to someone else. I'm not buying it. Blaming medication? Just stupid. Be a man and take full responsibility for doing something dumb. Don't try to blame it on anything else. Pathetic.
Last edited by Madison on Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers