Pedro, Ortiz, Tejada Named in $35M Suit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro, Ortiz, Tejada Named in $35M Suit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro, Ortiz, Tejada Named in $35M Suit

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:20 pm

I'm guessing this article and the lawyer are making this out to be worse than it sounds for the players, because I don't see (on the surface) how spokespeople can be sued for promoting a fraudulant product as long as they had no other dealings with the business. Maybe there's more to this, though...

ESPN.com wrote:At least five major-leaguers have been named as defendants in a $35 million civil suit involving defective phone cards known as Grandes Ligas (Major Leagues).

According to a report in the St. Petersburg Times, Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, Mets pitcher Pedro Martinez, Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, Yankees pitcher Octavio Dotel and Devil Rays shortstop Julio Lugo are named in the lawsuit, along with American Worldwide Telecom, STX Communications, TWD Prepaid Cards, STI Mobile and Global Compass Inc.

Salvador Delgado, a lawyer representing convenience store owners who claim they unknowingly sold defective phone cards advertised by the players, told the Times that most of the cards were bought by Dominicans in the New York area who used them to call home. According to the lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in New York and claims fraud and deceptive advertising, a $2 card that was supposed to provide a 70-minute call actually provided nine or 10 minutes.

"These baseball players are basically heros to the Dominican community," Delgado told the Times. "We find it disturbing they would be involved in a situation where products are defective and are being sold to the community under their image or their names."

Delgado also said that he wants the federal government to regulate phone card sales.

"This industry is of enormous importance to the immigrant community all across the United States," Delgado said.

Lugo's agent, Jeff Borris, refused to comment to the Times, and Devil Rays spokesman Rick Vaughn told the newspaper that the team has "no involvement at all in this matter." Ortiz's agent, Diego Bentz, told the Boston Globe that Dotel lured his client, Tejada and Martinez into the deal.

"They were trying to do a favor and it just snowballed," Bentz told the Globe.

Major League Baseball spokesman Pat Courtney told the Times the league is investigating and that MLB has no connection to the cards.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ARN » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:28 pm

i dont agree with it, but ive been told that if u lend your name to it then u are as liable as the company putting it out. i think that seems like a crap deal, but thats what ive been told.

of corse by that theory if an SUV tiger woods endorses gets recalled, then cant he be sued in civil court for all the accidents that happened before the recall (that is the accidents caused by the recalled flaw)? and then are commercial actors held responsible the same way, even though they arnt celebrities? If there any lawyers out there who can answer this id be intrigued to know.
ARN
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:28 pm

I believe that product endorsers are only responsible for their own negligence. So if they were aware of the company's negligent behavior then they're in turn negligent.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nikku88 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:42 pm

I know that some celebrities have been sued and had to pay money when things they advertised ended up being a scam/etc.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:19 pm

I doubt this was the players idea to scam the people.
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:00 pm

BaseballFann0008 wrote:I doubt this was the players idea to scam the people.
it's definitely not their intention, but when you lend your name to something, you endorsing it as a legitmate product even if it's not. You would think that their agents and people would be all over this too.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers